Quick trip to Iguazu Falls from Sao Paolo

Flashback

Enthusiast
As country #100 nears (Brazil), getting in before they start charging for Aussies to enter the country from April (Vistos.).

Having a look, there's flights between GRU and IGU (Brazilian side) on GOL and LATAM.

Using cash, the cheapest I can find (using Jan 22-23 out/back as an example) is £156 (~$300 AUD) on LATAM.

That means in theory there's point options on AA, BA, QF etc.

AA: 30k + £17.20 doesn't feel like very good use of miles on GOL. Even though searching for IGU, it seems to bring up options (only) into CAC which is miles away.
BA: GRU - IGU return on LATAM - none of the options are even close to 1p/Avios, so seems like cash may be the better option here?
17000 Avios + £ 30.20
15100 Avios + £ 50.20
13600 Avios + £ 70.20
12500 Avios + £ 90.20
10600 Avios + £ 110.20
9400 Avios + £ 130.20
QF: Can't search online, might need a phone call?

Are there any other options I'm missing?

Once there, based on tips/comments from others on AFF such as @JohnM, @RooFlyer, @Mattg etc. it looks like the Brazilian side actually has the better views and has a good bird park, however it's still worth popping over to the Argentinian side (country #101 ;)) and spending the night there perhaps. Or would it be better to stay on the Brazilian side and just day trip over to the Argy side?

Once there, based on tips/comments from others on AFF such as @JohnM, @RooFlyer, @Mattg etc. it looks like the Brazilian side actually has the better views and has a good bird park, however it's still worth popping over to the Argentinian side (country #101 ;)) and spending the night there perhaps. Or would it be better to stay on the Brazilian side and just day trip over to the Argy side?

I flew into Brazilian side & spent the night at the Belmond, right by the falls (24 hr access). Argi side has the best falls, best viewed from the Brazilian side. Can go down the walkways into the torrent. A viewing tower. Butterflies animals etc

I then got a car & driver from the hotel to drive me across to the Argi side - he did all the passport stuff (I just sat in the car!!), then drove me up the Argi side. Some good walks along there, but you are mostly 'above' the falls. However, at the end, there is a long walkway out into the river that ends right over the 'Devils Throat' where one of the bigger falls drops down. Def worth visiting both sides. I then flew out of the Argi airport.

Taking a vehicle is a very common way to do it - there will be lots of options.

CGH looks to be an option too, another airport in Sao Paolo. Prices look to be much the same. If paying cash then CGH is likely better as it's closer to the city.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

I just reminded myself of what I did.

It's worth seeing both sides.

I stayed on the Brazil side and did a day trip to the Argy side, see post #141: A high and dry, wild and wet, majestic history medley – RTW 2018
Interesting viewpoint from an American, saying the town on the Brazilian side isn't safe. Seems fine to me......

UA miles is an option also, 25k + $15.60. Seems like cash is the way to go here from a value perspective.

When I went to Iguazu we flew in from San Paolo in afternoon; stayed 2 nights on the Brazilian side in a really nice hotel (certainly didn't feel unsafe), checking out some local night life on first night. Next day spent a full day on the Brazilian side which includes the boat trip. Next day drove over to the Argentinian side early morning and drove back into Brazil that afternoon going straight to airport to get early evening flight to Buenos Aires.

The views and activities are different on each side. It like going to Niagara you naturally want to do the US and Canadian sides.

Watch out for these guys on the Brazilian side, we saw them sneak up on an unsuspecting tourist who had his baguette lunch in a plastic bag, then use a finger nail to cut the bag, grab the baguette all in a couple of seconds before the guy even noticed. His lunch was devoured very quickly.

1729840166611.png

Last edited:
We stayed on Brazilian side inside the national park in a colonial style 2 story hotel.

It was fabulous all the tourists have to be out of the park from 5pm to 9am IIRC and only hotel guests on the paths and vantage points.

Quiet and lots of nice walks much better than multi story concrete and glass boxy Marriott style on the Argentine side. (And they had champagne breakfasts)

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Recent Posts

Back