Safety while travelling alone

We were at a conference in the US and a friend of our was elected international President.
This meant she would be visiting countries around the world as part of her "job"
At a later meeting she went up to my wife and asked her what sort of protection she carried.
As an aside, we live in Adelaide.
Catherine was a little confused about the question and when she asked some questions, the new lady showed her the .32 pistol she always carried in her purse!!!!!!!!!!
When we told her the rules in Australia, she could not believe it.
She still came to Oz, without the pistol.
But her fear was real in the US - she was about 5ft 6in and a very attractive lady.
I also recall visiting a Fry's store and seeing Tasers on the hang sell rack, and most outdoor stores sell bear spray in small containers.
I'm not saying it is the way to go, but if it is an issue, maybe buy one of these on arrival, and dump it when you leave.
I'm sorry you had that experience, but mental health is a problem world wide, and as there seem to be no votes in it, none of the pollies really care.

Great to hear you are ok, and that there was someone who came to your assistance.
As a solo traveler , the only time I've felt uncomfortable was my first trip to Los Angeles walking along Hollywood Bvd at night.
Can't put my finger on it , but had the feeling I was being followed by a couple of people. Even when I went into a shop to try and lose them, they were there to follow me when I came out.
Thankfully made it back to my Hotel, but definitely had me on a heighten awareness of mu surroundings for the rest of the time there.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back