Same status different seat selection availability

SYD

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Gold
Oneworld
Emerald
Wasn’t sure if this is a question under T-80 or Shadows but possibly warrants a seperate thread (if not already asked before?).

Two of us on seperate tickets flying SYD-MEL whY (return). Bookings are not linked AFAIK but we can see quite different seat availability within T-80 (I think it’s much the same before T-80 and not aware of this on QFi).

Both of us WP/LTG/PC/GT and flying associated to my QBR account. I’ve been continuous WP longer, attained LTG several years earlier.

Flying down to MEL we had adjacent aisle seats (as usual), EF was showing our middle seats blocked (shadow?) but SYD+1 could select the seat next to me but I couldn’t select their middle seat. Similarly, flight back to SYD within T-80 has better seat visibility for SYD+1…🤷‍♂️.

The only other thing I can think of is individual QF customer “value” scores (what’s the term POV?). But even then, our spend is probably similar - although, there might have been instances where STD+1 has been the “primary” traveller on big ticket items.

Anyway, it appears that their are more undocumented perks within tiers!

Anyone else noticed this recently?

It been this way for over a decade.

Search for "Notional Seating" and "Altea".
That explains the slight variation to actual QF seat map but not the other.
Are you both in the same fare bucket?
Yes. Next flight is “X” CR (so identical) and if anything, the seat map difference between the two of us is more different.

Definitely something else at play!

I'd suggest it's more likely than not a simple outlier in PCV calculation.
That’s all I could think of. But a more visible incarnation.

It’s like I see the EF version and SYD+1 sees a superset? 🤷‍♂️

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back