SCAM $99.50 Gift from QANTAS??

So, I'm on the phone to QANTAS getting points and SC's allocated for an Extra Seat booking that was completed a month ago on QF which had not been credited to my account.
As a result of the issuance of the SC's while I was on the phone, I moved from Gold to Platinum.
With that I get an email from "Qantas >noreply.eventbrite.com>" congratulating me on my membership upgrade and offering me a $99.50 "gift coupon".
I mean, I'm on the phone and I get this scam email. Realised it once the "verification screen" looked suspect and a verification code didn't come through.
Any other day, I would have deleted the email as a scam but I was on the phone with QANTAS at the time and it looked like a congratulatory email for attaining Platinum which has just happened.
There is some link between QANTAS and these scammers on some level which MUST be investigated by QANTAS. This is a very bad look.

Because it’s far too coincidental that within seconds of reaching Platinum as a result of call centre action and being congratulated by the agent that I get a congratulatory scam email from “Qantas”.
Had never received that email before
Also, there was a long pause at the start of the call when the agent sounded like he was interacting with a third party.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

I would come down on the side of it being a coincidence. These email scams are relentless, and sometimes things turn up at a coincidental time.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back