Strategy to obtain US Amex

Canadians are luckier than us. Their passport office can certify a true copy for something like $50 which can be used at IRS. Australian one wouldn't do it for me. I'm not sure about now but if you can get the passport office to certify it, it will work as IRS requires the certification from the issuing agency. If you can get the passport certified, you don't even need their service.

I was quite lucky doing it when the Amazon royalty income method still worked and the US consulate certified my passport. Heard it didn't work these days. You can check w-7 instructions and see if you can make one of those in exception tables work. I think it is much easier to just get CAA to do it. It costs 3-4 times more but you will definitely get it. Even with Amazon method in the past, I heard some people had to do it like 3 to 4 times. I was lucky and got it on my first try.

A cheaper way is if you happen to be in the US, go to IRS in person. Or send your passport by mail which is quite risky even if you use an exiring one.
Do you mean to say if you have a Thai passport and the consulate in a melbpurne certifies it , that’s most of the process done for you ?
Post automatically merged:

Was anyone able to get their first Chase Business card expedited to Aus? I have 2 Chase Personal cards and was approved for Ink Cash yesterday. Asked for card to be expedited and was transferred to fraud and verified successfully using questions and OTP text to Tello but they still won't expedite it overseas. Is this a case of HUACA or is it some kind of Chase rule for each category of Credit card that they must be sent to physical US address first?
I had my first ink sent to oz directly a few weeks ago .

Did you have to wait long for your call to be answered? And did you call during US business hours? I think calls outside of US business hours are handled by their Indian call centres.
maybe - I can't remember - maybe I will try during US business hours and see how I go - it was a pretty quick no we can't help you, you need to send in this

I'm still half hearted. I like that I can use my Australian address for priority pass and get the physical card. I find digital one not that convenient at some places but I still have 6 other PP accounts 😂AUs are free and get their own PP as well. Then that $300 credit, I tried to book qantas domestic and and it was $40 more expensive for $200 flight. Hotels are more expensive as well so maybe I get about $250 value which makes it $145 ($95+$50) for 10,000 anniversary bonus points. Still not sure if it's a good card to have. This will be my 3rd renewal too and still not much change in benefits.

That happened to me maybe in 2020/21 and it went nowhere after faxing ITIN and ID. Then 2022, I signed up again with a new email (I did about 4 times 😂 ) and one or 2 questions applied to me and I got in.
yes it seems a bit of a luck of the draw as to the questions you get asked - if they happen to relate to you it seems like it might be a win - might try with incognito and see how i go too

Do you mean to say if you have a Thai passport and the consulate in a melbpurne certifies it , that’s most of the process done for you ?

I had my first ink sent to oz directly a few weeks ago .

The issue is US consulates will certify it if you tick box a/h on w-7 form. You will pretty much need a document to support it. For example, in my case, rotalty income. I used Amazon premade letter saying I would be earning some royalty income (which I heard did not work now). It was pretty funny as well as the signature on that letter was from the guy who no loner worked for Amazon 😂 I tried to go the bank interest route before but the bank didn't understand what document I needed. (I needed the bank to issue a letter saying I would be earning interest that was subject to withholding with their official letterhead)

If you tick box b (Nonresident alien filing a U.S. federal tax return) which is what these CAAs do to get ITIN for you, the consulate won't certify it. This box b is the easier as you can just make up the income you earn without having to send any extra document to IRS.

IRS will accept the passport that is certified from the issuing agency so if you can get the Australian passport office to certify it, you can use box b without having to go through CAAs or visit IRS in person.

Actually last year, Canadian passport office stopped embossing the letter causing quite a bit of an issue to some but after some explaining, IRS accepted it. IRS Rejecting Certified True Copies of Canadian Passports | Frugal Flyer

I think the issue in Australia is we do not need the government agency to certify the documents. It can be certified by JP and people in some occupations.

My knowledge might be outdated though. You might need to check if the consulate will certify if box b is ticked or if Australia passport office will certify the passport now.

Last edited:

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back