Suggestions for QFF & VA Alternatives

Catweazle

For some years, as you know, I've been earning, churning and rewarding with credit cards as a QFF.

From time to time, I'll pick up VA bonuses along the way when relevant, except we don't often fly VA as much. However, as Edmund Hillary said, "because it's there!"

Should I perhaps look into some AS or AA cards as an alternative here, in between the waiting periods?

I bought a new phone once when I transferred ANZ points into cash back. That was nice. Thanks, ANZ. Of course, now Telstra is blowing up their 3G towers so I'll probably be in the market for a new Sony again soon... there's another problem to solve another day.

My question now is, what other alternative rewards cards might you suggest, especially in terms of travel? It seems that HH redemptions in many parts of the world are quite expensive (i.e. 1-2 nights maximum) because where we are, and where we've been traveling more recently, you don't get much. More of the higher tier hotels seem to be around here. Although, maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing. Maybe a week in ASP would be cheaper than BOB...

What other cards do you have that you feel are worth it?

FTR, I'm a school teacher based in MEL and most travel is domestic. Had it been international, I would have got Star Alliance gold, but I don't think that's much help for domestic hops.

Maybe I'm looking at this wrong. Am I just being a "great greedy guts" ...or have I actually been working with limited options here? Do I need to look into options with transferable points? But then, transfer from whom to whom? Hmm...

3db17486fc5302655fb3ec6cb664c260.jpeg

Last edited:
I am going to concentrate on the airline programs that use Avios so currently have an Amex and CBA Ultimate Awards (for fee free OS spend). Probably not much use for the mainly domestic travel you do though??

Interesting topic.

If you're staying in the realm of Australian cards, you really have three main choices: Qantas, Virgin & bank programs. The bank programs transfer to a range of airline/hotel partners as well as offer you cashback options (directly or via gift vouchers).

Maybe you should look into the third option more carefully? This page is helpful for understanding the bank program transfer partners: The Ultimate Australian Credit Card Points Transfer Matrix

Thanks for the link to the Matrix; useful.

Only it's late in the evening, past my bed time and I teach History not Maths... :p Does 3:2 mean 3 Amex points can be turned into 2 Marriott points, or that 3 Marriott points can be turned into 2 Amex points? In other words, a 150k Amex sign up bonus is worth about two nights at the Sheraton in SYD or CNS?

Last edited:
Thanks for the link to the Matrix; useful.

Only it's late in the evening, past my bed time and I teach History not Maths... :p Does 3:2 mean 3 Amex points can be turned into 2 Marriott points, or that 3 Marriott points can be turned into 2 Amex points? In other words, a 150k Amex sign up bonus is worth about two nights at the Sheraton in SYD or CNS?
Yes - 3 Amex points turns to 2 Marriot points ..

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and enjoy a better viewing experience, as well as full participation on our community forums.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to enjoy lots of other benefits and discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back