Targetted - Double MR points for 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mal

Enthusiast
Received a letter from Amex today basically asking why I hadn't used my Amex Gold for ages and requesting that I use it more as it's a great card to have.

Duh, the answer is that it was converted into a Plat card around 2 years ago :D

Anyways, they offered me double MR points for the next 6 months after I register with them. There was a form to post/fax back to them to register, which only contains unique identifying codes. So nothing I can pass on to assist others in registering really.

Will be interesting to see what happens with bonus points, or whether I get an "oops" letter in the mail eventually :)

Wow, so I wonder if you buy some gift cards Mal whether you'll score 22 points per dollar. :shock: ;) :D Or whether it's base points only. :-|

littl_flier said:
Wow, so I wonder if you buy some gift cards Mal whether you'll score 22 points per dollar. :shock: ;) :D Or whether it's base points only. :-|

Thinking of trying that myself.... need to wait a couple of days to make sure the registration sticks, and perhaps a small test purchase :)

I guess I am spending too much on my Amex card to be targetted for this ;)

Well I've made a couple of purchases since I registered for the promo (sent fax back)... just the run of the mill 1.5x points for my Plat Purchases.

Havn't tried anything with my Qantas card, but doubt that would have had the bonus applied as it's not in Ascent or any of the similar award programs.

Will keep monitoring!

Still only receiving the normal points, so obviously they don't want me getting the bonus :)

No letter back from Amex telling me registration was unsuccessful, so maybe they do think I have a Gold Card somewhere in the system!

My husband was targetted the year before as he was using my maximiser card, so his spend dropped. Deal was 5000 bonus points for $5K spend. As his Amex was 1pt per dollar the actual benefit to us was 2500 pts. He did the spend but getting the points was a pain in the butt.
It took over 3 months, 3 very long phone calls and 2 faxed copies of the offer to finally get the points.

Amex won't give up on my 'imaginary' Gold card :)

Got a call from them. The convo basically went like this:

You're a valued Gold cardholder since xx, but we notice you havn't used your card since xx. Can you let us know why you havnt used the card?
(I swapped my Gold card for a Plat card a couple of years ago).

You have x MR awards points in your account (all earned via Plat ;) ), I can offer you 1.5 points (or maybe it was bonus points?) per $ for the next 6 months starting x.
(I'd already signed up for 2 points/$ on my imaginary Gold card as per this thread, but just went with the flow and signed up for this 'new' offer. Maybe it will stick to my Plat Amex, but seeing the first one didn't I doubt this one will)

Your current Credit limit is $X. Is this ok?
(well it's an imaginary card that I don't use, so of course it's ok. Resisted the temptation to ask for the increase as it may affect my ability to get other Amex increases when I want them).

I can offer you a credit transfer from another card for X% for x months. (it actually was a pretty good rate compared to the normal Amex ones and less than what I can earn in term deposits). Do you want to take this up.
(said no)

Ok, well enjoy using your card.

I've now been told by Amex twice in the last month that an account which my historical statements show as "CLOSED" is still active. Decided to transfer a small amount of money into the credit card to see what sort of statement comes next month from it. If the statement says the account is "CLOSED" or I don't get one, then I'll tell Amex to stop harassing me :) If it says open, then I'll ask for a replacement card and store it away in a drawer somewhere (fee free for life, but no Reward points unless I pay or keep my Amex plat I think)
I think a telling factor (for me) is that they didn't send me a new credit card when my old one was due to expire.

Gotta love Amex!

Last edited:
In case anyone is wondering, I worked out what has been going on with my card.

Years ago, I had a Amex Gold (Fee Free) credit card. I then upgraded it to an Amex Plat credit card, and at that time it was cancelled as part of the offer for the upgrade (since then, Amex has allowed people to have multiple Amex Credit cards)

About a year after applying for the Amex Plat, I also applied for a Qantas Premium card. Amex stuffed up my application and instead of adding it as an additional card, they cancelled my Plat card to issue my Premium card.

After getting the Plat card re-enabled, it was cancelled again. On the second try to get it enabled, someone in Amex stuffed up and re-enabled both my Amex Plat Credit card, and my Amex Gold credit cards.

So the card was still available and floating away in Amex Land unknown to me.

Did a couple of checks to make sure card is still enabled, then called up and have got the card re-issued. I was advised that yes I'd cancelled it, but had asked Amex to re-enable it since it was cancelled. :shock:

Mal said:
Did a couple of checks to make sure card is still enabled, then called up and have got the card re-issued. I was advised that yes I'd cancelled it, but had asked Amex to re-enable it since it was cancelled. :shock:

I didn't even know you could do such a thing :)

Chicken said:
Wow! So once you ticked the close account box, you can untick it again. Never imagined AmEx can be this dodgy!!!

Seems to be that way. Someone else in another thread said that you can re-open a closed Amex account within 12 months (I think that was the amount of time, perhaps it is longer).

So it can obviously be done. To make things a touch clearer, it appears that Amex themselves accidentally (or otherwise) re-enabled it. If I had've asked myself, I don't know if they would have re-enabled it. When I signed up for my Amex Plat, you could only have 1 Amex Credit card (as far as I know), so it was a condition of upgrading that I cancelled my old card - and it was done then. When I phoned up, I was informed that I had requested it to be re-enabled previously (no I hadn't!), so just asked for the card to be reissued to me.

Received an interesting phone call from Amex earlier on this afternoon. I must have misunderstood and thought they called for me to participate in a survey and I just said I am not interested and was about to hang up. Then I get asked if I just have a few minutes to spare. So I said OK.

Apparently since I am a loyal Amex customer and have a Gold card with a MR account with balance of over 100,000 MR points I was offered a 50% bonus on MR points earned for the next 6 months. OK, so what is the catch? No catch at all apart from the 6 months or 20,000 MR bonus points which ever comes first.

I was quite happy to talk for a little while longer and offered some suggestions as to how Amex could get more of my business if they got more merchants on board like fast food chains. But I also mentioned that they also lose business when a merchant adds on a surcharge to the transaction. I was told that they are looking at rectifying all these situations.

Due to this promotion I mentioned above, (and the one JohnK mentioned), I'm currently on 2.5 points/$ with my Amex Gold.

Not too shabby at all, although I'm not really putting any value through the card at the moment so the benefit is very limited.

Mal said:
Due to this promotion I mentioned above, (and the one JohnK mentioned), I'm currently on 2.5 points/$ with my Amex Gold.

Not too shabby at all, although I'm not really putting any value through the card at the moment so the benefit is very limited.
Mal,

Most of us would appreciate the opportunity to have the limited benefit. :cool:

Mal said:

So you have been targetted for a double points promotion, and then targetted for a further 50% bonus point promotion and you are not putting much through the card?

I wish I could put $40,000 through the card in the next 6 months to get the 20,000 bonus points.

JohnK said:
I wish I could put $40,000 through the card in the next 6 months to get the 20,000 bonus points.

Well perhaps just before the six months is up buy some Wish Cards from D i c k Smith...which apart from being used at DSE can also be used at Safeways/ Woolworth Supermarkets and fuel stations as well as Big W to buy anything within those stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and enjoy a better viewing experience, as well as full participation on our community forums.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to enjoy lots of other benefits and discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back