Thinking of switching from QBR Amex to a Plat

DrGear

Intern
Qantas
Bronze
Had a QBR Amex for the last 2 years and it's been fine, but given the nightmare that is the current Qantas availability thing, I'm considering applying for a business platinum. Given I can't access the back end to see what I could use those points on, I'm trying to determine whether the extra $1300 a year membership fee is worth it. Obviously I can transfer the points to other flyer programs, but I'm thinking using the points for other things would be more worthwhile for me. Anyone with a business plat with experiences or thoughts, would love to hear them.

Currently the business does about $500Kpa and almost all the expenses go through the card directly, or through Access Line so our usual spend is about $40-50K a month.

If you spend and travel a bit it’s easy to get value for the $1300. Each year I get $850 travel credit (I think it’s down to $450 for new cards) plus a free night at Accor. Lounge access can be a big saving, especially when travelling with family. The hotel status benefit often includes breakfast which again can be a decent saving. If you travel a few times in a year just those benefits make the fee worthwhile.

Reward flights are still the best value for redeeming points. Seats often aren’t easy to get but being able to pick airlines does make it much easier.

Aside from that you can transfer points to Marriott, Hilton, or “pay with points” where you cash in a 0.5c per point credit on your Amex bill. It’s not the best value redemption but if you end up with a big bank of points from business spend (and depending how much you paid in fees to get the points) it’s a quick way to get some cash back.

If you spend and travel a bit it’s easy to get value for the $1300. Each year I get $850 travel credit (I think it’s down to $450 for new cards) plus a free night at Accor. Lounge access can be a big saving, especially when travelling with family. The hotel status benefit often includes breakfast which again can be a decent saving. If you travel a few times in a year just those benefits make the fee worthwhile.

Reward flights are still the best value for redeeming points. Seats often aren’t easy to get but being able to pick airlines does make it much easier.

Aside from that you can transfer points to Marriott, Hilton, or “pay with points” where you cash in a 0.5c per point credit on your Amex bill. It’s not the best value redemption but if you end up with a big bank of points from business spend (and depending how much you paid in fees to get the points) it’s a quick way to get some cash back.
Travel, not so much unfortunately (you know, the whole plague thing) plus a bunch of things requiring me to work 70+ hours a week and not being able to take a holiday. SPend on the card however, that much yes. About 40K a month so that's an alright return each month vs just having a million plus QFF points sitting there gathering dust. Because I have the QBR card, I can't actually see what the normal amex points can be spent on and work out a rough value. Speaking with the rep the other day and she wasn't much help unfortunately.
The Accor Plus and travel credit could be nice for use on a localish weekend away. Seems like the Plat is a decent value for my needs then.

Worth noting the earn rate per dollar for QFF is slightly lower from the Amex program (once transferred), 1.25 vs 1.5.

Currently making the same decision myself, unfortunately not eligible for the sign up bonuses. But having the flexibility of the Amex points vs straight QFF points seems sensible.

Worth noting the earn rate per dollar for QFF is slightly lower from the Amex program (once transferred), 1.25 vs 1.5.

Currently making the same decision myself, unfortunately not eligible for the sign up bonuses. But having the flexibility of the Amex points vs straight QFF points seems sensible.
Right now, the QFF points are worth zero to me for anything worthwhile. At least with the Amex points, I can use them either on airlines that have some available flights, as credit on my bills, or getting some kitchen appliances.

I’m so annoyed at the points I have sitting there I’m almost ready to just blow them on stuff in their shop. It’s gonna be so long until any decent rewards flights become available and I’m tired of waiting.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and enjoy a better viewing experience, as well as full participation on our community forums.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to enjoy lots of other benefits and discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back