Three full days in Wellington

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justinf

Established Member
Taking Miss 11, soon to be Miss 12, to Wellington, NZ, during the next school hols. Leave Thursday July 5 (get to WEL around 7pm) and come back Monday July 9 (departing about 3pm), giving us three full days.
Wellington was my first international trip 22 years ago and Miss 12 will be getting her first passport and doing her first international trip. I did love how I gave her the choice between the Gold Coast and Wellington and she had no hestitation in stepping out of her comfort zone in choosing NZ even though she has been to the Gold Coast and loved it. Also loved how she asked what aircraft we would be flying on and whether it had IFE and meals and whether it was a widebody or not. A new forum member in the years to come perhaps?
So, Wellington. I remember it being staggeringly pretty. Up there with Edinburgh on the attractiveness stakes.
What is there to do for me and a just-turned-12-year-old girl nowadays?
Also, what can I expect from the following flights, all in Y:

MEL-AKL DJ164 10am-3.35pm, 737-800 operated by Virgin
AKL-WEL DJ8521 6pm-7pm, A320 operated by Air NZ
WEL-MEL QF38 3.10pm-5.05pm, 737-800 operated by Jetconnect for Qantas

I am tipping the QF flight has a meal and IFE included in the price? But on the flipside, as a Velocity Gold member, at least I get access to the Air NZ Lounges at MEL and AKL when flying from MEL to WEL?
Do I load upthe iPad with a movie or two for my daughter when flying over from Melbourne to Auckland?
No biggy. Just interested in the feedback from those who do this all the time.

Last edited:
Lion Brown here I come. And yes, will do the cable car. Such a beautiful city from what I remember.
The museum will be one stop.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Te Papa will be a must. The museum is quite interactive that the kids should enjoy.

If the weather is OK, just a walk along the harbour, hire a bike that sits the whole family is fun to do. Also, hop on the ferry to Somes Island and/or Eastbourne.

The Karori Bird Sanctuary is also good to visit if the weather isn't too cold.

Yes, you'll get a meal and IFE included in your price on your QF flight.

P.S. Wellington is WLG, not WEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back