UA Gold (*A gold) on TG benefits?

Daver6

Enthusiast
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Gold
I'm not very familiar with *A benefits in general. Given UA gold which is *A gold, what benefits does one get on TG in Y? Do you get access to preferred/paid seating. I couldn't see anything to suggest this, but coming from OW, that would seem like a pretty basic benefit not to get.

Looks like you get access to J check-in and boarding as well as lounge access.

I find the TG website so terrible to use, I'd actually avoid flying TG in again in future. I needed to call for basic stuff like changing a FF number. Then the staff messed that up so I'm going to need to call again :(

An extra bag, Lounge access, Priority boarding and security (where available) Preferred seating has never been a published *G benefit...of course you may get lucky at check in, some airlines provide more than published benefits.

Preferred seating has never been a published *G benefit...of course you may get lucky at check in, some airlines provide more than published benefits.
That's correct Star Alliance is the only airline alliance I'm aware of that doesn't provide alliance wide complimentary priority seat selection (SkyTeam and OneWorld do).

However, yes there are certainly unpublished benefits that come your way. For instance, as a UA*Gold flying Air Canada a few times, there were occasions where I was upgraded at the gate to business. In other words they had to do an operational upgrade because they ran out of seats in coach, and prioritize who to "bump" up to business based on status. On EgyptAir, the captains always came out to say high, thank your for flying EgyptAir as a Star Alliance Gold, and shake your hand. Then of course there is the whole Lufthansa Group carve out for United Premier Golds (and above), which meant that you could buy the cheapest EuroWings economy fare yet have access to the Lufthansa Senator lounge when travelling. I remember, visiting lounges at Berlin Tegel and Dusseldorf flying to Vegas on a $200 CAD EuroWings basic fare. At first, the attendant told me I'm not allowed in, I then asked them if they could humour me and look up the United rules. To their shock there was indeed a carve out for United Premier Golds offering lounge access.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back