Up down and around a bit in South West W.A

We had a number of these old cyclone beds when I was a kid. I used to sleep on our verandah in one over summer for years. I actually used to find it pretty comfortable when combined with a kapok mattress.

g36.jpg

g37.jpg

g38.jpg

g39.jpg

g40.jpg

g41.jpg

g42.jpg

g43.jpg

I had a President fridge just like this as a bottle fridge for decades. All the plastics inside eventually broke but the compressor and motor was still as good as new when we got rid of it.

g45.jpg

g46.jpg

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

g50.jpg

w20.jpg

The lockup - lined with Jarrah.

w21.jpg

w33.jpg

w22.jpg

I have some of those screw jacks in my back shed - inherited from my father

w23.jpg

The most impressive remaining building is the old State Hotel

w24.jpg

There was a nice sunset glow that evening

w25.jpg

w26.jpg

w27.jpg

A quick look at the museum around the Hoover House

One of the old 'woodlines' trains - used to collect timber for firewood and construction

w14.jpg

You can see how narrow the gauge was

w15.jpg

Some machinery

w16.jpg

w17.jpg

w10.jpg

w18.jpg

w9.jpg

The next day we headed south. Our departure was full of mistakes. When we checked out at the museum office my wife bought me a book for Fathers Day. I cunningly put it down to chat to the lady running the shop and then walked out without it. I remembered it far enough down the road where it would have cost more in fuel and time costs to return than the book was worth. Our German friend then discovered her room key in her pocket about 200 km down the road. After a phone call we dropped it at the Menzies Council Office as the council staff often travel between the two localities.

Our next stop was to see the statues at Lake Ballard

b.jpg

b1.jpg

b4.jpg

b6.jpg

It was actually pretty pleasant weather there at around 23 C. On our previous visit it had been over 40 C and very trying.

b13.jpg

b9.jpg

b11.jpg

The nearest 'island' is climbable - but not by me

b14.jpg

b15.jpg

Our German friend was convinced that there was water in the lake. She was very doubtful by our explanation that it was just a mirage so she went off for a bit of a walk. As I said, the weather was mild and we could see her all the time so it wasn't dangerous. She returned and admitted that we were right.

b5.jpg

Last edited:
b17.jpg

b6.jpg

Some more wildflowers

b7.jpg

b8.jpg

b12.jpg

We then went south to visit the abandoned cemetery where my grandmother is buried. She is buried at Mulline which is just a little north of Davyhurst.

The roads were a lot rougher here.

mu6.jpg

mu7.jpg

mu11.jpg

Only a few graves have markers

mu8.jpg

mu9.jpg

mu5.jpg

A group called Outback Graves has started a project to mark the 'lost' graves in these abandoned cemeteries.

mu2.jpg

mu3.jpg

mu4.jpg

Among the graves they have recorded is my grandmothers and her 4 year old daughter. My grandmother died in childbirth with her unborn child. From what my father and aunt recalled her daughter was a 'blue baby' and may have had a heart defect. The original grave markers have disappeared over the years - they may well have been wood. I had thought about placing a plaque previously but was unsure about the legalities and so forth. A donation will be sent to this group to thank them for their efforts.

mu.jpg

mu1.jpg

We took the Riverina road back to Menzies - a long stretch of gravel.
mu10.jpg

Last edited:

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back