UpgradeMe pricing and success

Let’s say there are only two seats available, do you think a bid for two seats at minimum would have a higher chance than a bid for one seat at a higher price?
Nobody really knows.
Obviously better for Virgin for both seats to be occupied at more revenue than the single highest bid. Then how does status come into it? Who knows, we can only hypothesize.

Nobody really knows.
Obviously better for Virgin for both seats to be occupied at more revenue than the single highest bid. Then how does status come into it? Who knows, we can only hypothesize.
As an “auction” surely status isn’t in play? It’s the first in with the highest bid? And then exhaust other bids until no more seats are left for “Waitlist” points upgrades.

As an “auction” surely status isn’t in play? It’s the first in with the highest bid? And then exhaust other bids until no more seats are left for “Waitlist” points upgrades.
Oh yes I agree, I wasn't too clear re status. I meant that in overall order etc.
Cheers

Oh yes I agree, I wasn't too clear re status. I meant that in overall order etc.
Cheers
and I meant to add, the irony is “Waitlist” points upgrades probably would be processed in order of status but unlike QF they end up in the bit bucket while the auction is still going.

Well, that appeared to be my observation yesterday. I had “Waitlist” in for OOL-MEL-SYD (it didn’t let me request one leg or other leg only - unlike the auction). I low balled bids for both also.

I actually received an email the day before that I’d been “out bid” on the OOL-MEL sector, so let that pass. Not sure how many hours out from flying but the note on the booking for “Waitlist” points upgrade was trying to tell me “Declined” albeit via some poor coding and error messages. Meanwhile, the auction soldiered on - happy to be corrected, but they’re taking bids up to 4 hrs before departure?

Last edited:
Have a Flex fare as WP for today MEL-OOL, did a points upgrade waitlist ~6 weeks ago.
Last 3 days a dummy booking indicated no J seats available to purchase.
Yet on expert flyer & seats aero it showed 1 seat, for 3 days.
I thought I was a chance to land it via waitlist.

Late last night it disappeared off expert flyer, full 8 seats taken.

So I'm thinking do they keep 1 seat on some flights if they can for any Beyond members etc till last minute being a Friday evening.

OR

I was out muscled by a cash Upgrade Me Bid ?
Do they take preference over Upgrade Me Points ?

Have a Flex fare as WP for today MEL-OOL, did a points upgrade waitlist ~6 weeks ago.
Last 3 days a dummy booking indicated no J seats available to purchase.
Yet on expert flyer & seats aero it showed 1 seat, for 3 days.
I thought I was a chance to land it via waitlist.

Late last night it disappeared off expert flyer, full 8 seats taken.

So I'm thinking do they keep 1 seat on some flights if they can for any Beyond members etc till last minute being a Friday evening.

OR

I was out muscled by a cash Upgrade Me Bid ?
Do they take preference over Upgrade Me Points ?
Cash is King.

SYD to BNE on the 4th - $85 min bid - 6 seats available - cleared 24 hours to go
BNE to SYD on the 7th - $85 min bid - sent a 'you've been outbid' email which I ignored - mate added $10 to his bid ($95) which cleared at the 24 hour mark - at which point there were 2 seats still available - mine cleared at T-13 hours.

PER to SYD tonight upgrade bid @ $300 accepted around T12. Probably overbid

Still waiting for a bid SYD to BNE connection tomorrow morning bid but last time I checked was only 1 J seat remaining.

If you bid on an upgrade me seat and are successful, do you get business class SC or does your SC earn remain the same?

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Does the upgrade auction take into account how much you paid for your original fare?

eg. Choice vs Flex

I've managed to coax 3x J rewards out of the booking system for MEL-ZQN (wife and kids), leaving just me in row 3 behind them at this point.

Paid J fare is ~ $1400, choice is ~ $380, flex is $680 or something like it.

You'd think someone on flex could bid less than someone on choice to get up but anecdotally it may not play that way... any data points?

Successful bid of minimum $85 on BNE-SYD for VA908 cleared at T-25. Got the "you have been outbid" email at T-48 but when VA's booking service showed 6 seats available for purchase still, I figured a minimum upgrade would be fine.
Have bid minimum on the return (VA957) however as there's only 3 seats left at T-72 I don't like my chances.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back