VA/ANA domestic to international transfer seperate bookings

JoshuaL1997

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some advice, I purchased lifemiles (avianca) during the last 200% bonus sale and managed to get a really good deal on ANA flights in Business from Sydney to Tokyo next year. However lifemiles was a bit useless re domestic tag on flights in Oz so i just decided to use a few Velocity points for flights to and from BNE.

Now my question is, will Virgin check my bags through from BNE to Haneda if I made two seperate bookings? Has anyone got any experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

From experience (personal) and also past posts by others on this forum. VA generally does not allow through-check on different PNRs, even if it's on their own airline (e.g ADL-BNE-DPS on 2 separate VA tickets for example). There may be a agent that may be willing to help, but chances are they won't be authorised to interline the separate tickets.

In the vast majority of cases, You will be required to collect your bags in SYD and take them with you on the transfer bus (or train) and re-check them in again at the International Terminal in SYD.

Edit: Had SYD/BNE mixed around, now corrected.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

From experience (personal) and also past posts by others on this forum. VA generally does not allow through-check on different PNRs, even if it's on their own airline (e.g ADL-BNE-DPS on 2 separate VA tickets for example). There may be a agent that may be willing to help, but chances are they won't be authorised to interline the separate tickets.

In the vast majority of cases, You will be required to collect your bags in SYD and take them with you on the transfer bus (or train) and re-check them in again at the International Terminal in SYD.

Edit: Had SYD/BNE mixed around, now corrected.
Figured as much, thanks for the advice! Shall make sure I have a long enough layover in that case.

Just to confirm, we have just got back from Haneda after an itinerary essentially similar to yours. It wasn't possible to check bags all the way from HBA to Haneda. Like you say, arrange for a long connection time. We went up to SYD the night before and had a relaxing stress free evening!

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back