Velocity introduces Forever Gold lifetime status tier

OK, minor good news.....
I have requested an updated statement of my account.
It shows a total of 16,140 status credits that are NOT pooled in or out.
However, there is a number that are on SQ, DL, QR etc.
After removing these, I am left with 11,947.
attached is the example of what they sent me.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-10-21 at 12.21.32 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2024-10-21 at 12.21.32 pm.png
    467.9 KB · Views: 43
I went thru the online chat and was shown the following
Not sure why I need to earn the 1k before October 2025
Not sure if I’ll go for it or just earn the remainder over normal travel

IMG_1875.jpegIMG_1874.jpeg

I am guessing the new Forever system will be like existing method and will require the status earn over a rolling basis. So it appears this system will be on a rolling 12 years and 8 months basis. Credits earned outside of the rolling 12 year and 8 months will possibly drop off. Based on COVID ruling, it is possible that the credits earned in 2020 will not drop off, providing you took a flight in 2022............. :)

I requested and have received a report of "Status Credits earned with Virgin Australia Since 1 Feb 2013"

I note that VA marketed codeshare flights I took that were operated by other airlines and there and listed.

Somewhat alarmingly, none of the DSC or TSC bonuses are included in the report. I know this doesn't necessarily mean they won't be included when the "official calculation" is done. It is hard calculate the precise total from Feb 2013 to current, but it is significant, I often made bookings specifically to take advantage of such promotions.

My current "Base SC" (i.e. as per the report, VA flown SCs without any bonuses) is 4,700. A lower number than what I was expecting.

I easily have far more than 3,000 from other carriers and a conservative estimate for DSC/TSC bonuses is probably around 1,500. So I'm either 4,300 SCs short, and (hopefully more likely?) around 2.800 "VA Base" SCs (for lack of a better term?) away from Forever Gold.

With my current expected travel and run rate of "VA" SCs - and without doing a run I guess I'm either 5 years off with the "expected" scenario of 2,800 or perhaps as much as 8 years away.

The 2nd April 2025 change to SCs based on spend. I've done the sums and it won't change my normal SC earn much.

It will mean no more VA status runs though, which I have mixed feelings about.

Last edited:
Not sure if I’ll go for it or just earn the remainder over normal travel
I assume that is if you want to be a foundation Forever Gold member (being the first date there will be such a thing)

I am guessing the new Forever system will be like existing method and will require the status earn over a rolling basis. So it appears this system will be on a rolling 12 years and 8 months basis. Credits earned outside of the rolling 12 year and 8 months will possibly drop off. Based on COVID ruling, it is possible that the credits earned in 2020 will not drop off, providing you took a flight in 2022............. :)

How complicated can Forever be? :rolleyes:

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

just requested my eligible SC total since February 2013. told that I’ll be sending an email within 48 hours. i’m guessing the amount of requests is increasing quite rapidly
I thought about doing the same but I think I'm just going to wait and see. It'd be nice to know but there's no urgency in knowing it right now and I reckon the counter will be added for us to see long before 1st Oct 2025.

One of the most sought-after features of Velocity Frequent Flyer is finally here. "Forever Gold", Velocity's version of lifetime Gold status, will launch on 1 October 2025.

Velocity will also backdate this to count status credits you've earned since 1 February 2013.

Been Gold for about 10 years, reached the heady heights of Platinum for 3 of those. Disappointed that family pooling not counted for FG. Makes it easier now to use cheaper flights with the competition for my partner when she travels without me.Previously paid higher for Virgin to gain SC, seems loyalty is a one way street. Realise won't help getting platinum, but travel enough to keep Gold. Also about time improved cabin service, would think on 3+ hour flights food could be provided. 6 hour flight to Bali ran out of paid tucker after 3 hours! Afraid a budget airline again.

How complicated can 'Forever' be? :rolleyes:

Only if Virgin get involved can it be complicated.

Ten young airheads with zero experience in such programs, all finger popping vague concepts at meetings, creates these half-baked loopy plans. D:

All it has done is ALIENATE and annoy a lot of folks once very loyal to Virgin. Genius stuff when you have an IPO on the horizon.

This was a good idea, long called for here, and they have stuffed it up MONUMENTALLY. No-one has the vaguest CLUE in writing right now how many SC have been accrued under their loopy and complex and vague system.

If we all knew that now, we could PLAN paid travel before the onerous new rules come into place. As they were too dumb to have not thought this out in advance, and prepared a log of EXACTLY what they were counting for each member NOW - none of us know. Even Velocity cannot tell us. Dumber than Dumb.

DSC and TSC are not counted even when one asks. How lazy is THAT? Of COURSE, folks want to know NOW what their current official total is. Not in several months time.

We do not know if it is based on a rolling 12 year period etc, as is apparently hinted at above. This is Beavis and Butthead writing their rules.

WAY too complicated and rubbery for most, and WAY too onerous and near unattainable just for a GOLD card.

United are a major partner, and they might have asked THEM how the real airlines do it. It is clear, and it is simple and more important it WORKS. Everyone can understand it.

GOLD is the lowest 'FOREVER' Elite level on United. There are 3 levels ABOVE that.

I got that 10 years back, and am very close to the next level. And my wife got a Gold FOREVER card too due to mine. Handy. Star Alliance Gold for LIFE and essentially Virgin Gold anyway while they are in alliance.

Guess what - from now on when we fly paid Biz to the USA on United, I'll be crediting it to UA, to click me over to the 2 million level to get to Platinum Lifetime.

We already get all Virgin Flights, Gold lounge and check in and boarding benefits with that UA card, so no benefit for us at all, but trying to get them to make it fairer and clearer for all members who have stayed loyal to VIRGIN -

United MileagePlus Premier Gold members are eligible for the following benefits on Virgin Australia operated flights:
  • Access to Virgin Australia Lounges
  • One additional checked bag (except on Economy Lite tickets)
  • Priority check-in
  • Priority boarding
  • Priority security clearance, where available

Virgin will not have ever aimed for a million bum in seat miles of course, unless that was for lifetime Platinum etc.

TEN year continuous membership of an elite level gives Gold or Plat that for life to ensure loyalty is a simple formula they might have used for example. SIMPLE for all to follow.

AND/OR, 10,000 or 15,000 SC from any source in the past .. they can fine tune it going forward to be just Virgin if they choose. We see 'enhancements' all the time at Velocity. Get it STARTED, then fiddle at the edges later.

It is only GOLD they are offering for goodness sakes - in the USA one gets airline GOLD level almost automatically from just having the correct airline credit card even if you never set foot on a plane.

Giving folks a Gold 'FOREVER' card has ZERO benefit to the recipient UNLESS they keep flying Virgin = More Revenue.

file.php

Last edited:

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back