Virgin Australia and Qatar Announce Strategic Partnership

Sorry I hold a confirmed ticket but there is no more award space left.

If there was more DOH-BNE award space then I'd just cancel the booking via VA and rebook again myself but the issue is I'm just interested in keeping my already confirmed DOH-BNE seat whilst adding on a DXB-DOH flight on the same day.
It seems complicated but if you get an experienced representative , it might work out .

Try and call as a starting point

A someone suggested earlier - always have the physical card with you whether Gold or Platinium

Flying an all SIA purchased itinierary Europe Rtn for the two of us, one a Gold VFF - had one flight changed to a codeshare with Lufthansa.

Checking in at Lufthansa for MUC-SIN leg for Y flights:

First hurdle - Your bags are overweight. No, they were under 25kg which is what e-ticket stated as the allowance, but as Gold entitled to extra weight allowance anyway.

Second hurdle - No, that's not what the screen says. Flash physical card. Oh, OK, that's fine then.

Third hurdle - Entrance into Lufthansa lounge. You're not on a VA flight, so not allowed. Flash card, Oh, maybe if I try ...

Entry granted, 5 hours before flight....

Always carry the physical card,.

A someone suggested earlier - always have the physical card with you whether Gold or Platinium

Flying an all SIA purchased itinierary Europe Rtn for the two of us, one a Gold VFF - had one flight changed to a codeshare with Lufthansa.

First hurdle - Your bags are overweight. No, they were under 25kg which is what e-ticket stated as the allowance, but as Gold entitled to extra weight allowance anyway.

Second hurdle - No, that's not what the screen says. Flash physical card. Oh, OK, that's fine then.

Third hurdle - Entrance into Lufthansa lounge. You're not on a VA flight, so not allowed. Flash card, Oh, maybe if I try ...

Agreed, the physical card is a must for most international partners from personal experience. A great recommendation that may save you a lot of pain :)

You got access the the LH lounge in MUC with VA status when flying, not SQ but LH?? Now thats a first!

VA Gold/Plat benefits are only available on flights directly operated by VA partner. Even if your flight had a VA code or SQ code because it was operated by Lufthansa no benefits apply.

but as Gold entitled to extra weight allowance anyway.
The gold allowance once again is only applicable on SQ operated flights. If you had MUC-SIN-SYD with the first leg on LH and the 2nd on SQ then the extra baggage would only apply to the 2nd.

Third hurdle - Entrance into Lufthansa lounge. You're not on a VA flight, so not allowed. Flash card, Oh, maybe if I try
This is correct. VA Gold doesn’t give you access to any lounges before any LH flight. Even if you were on an SQ operated you still wouldn’t get access because VA golds don’t get access to third party lounges (those not operated by SQ directly) before SQ flights.

Now this is where the alliance with Qatar differs (and Etihad is the same), VA Gold/Plat actually get access to the 3rd party lounge that QR/EY uses. This includes if the lounge is a oneworld lounge, if it’s the default lounge then at check in you should be receiving an invitation to the lounge.

As a result you end up with some odd situations, when flying Qatar you can use the Air New Zealand lounges in Australia (except Melbourne). The oneworld lounge operated by Qantas at LAX is also technically an option as in the JAL lounge at Haneda but only when flying on a Qatar operated flight.

On Etihad the same applies and VA Gold/Plat can use 3rd party lounges. In Munich that’s actually the Lufthansa lounge (which explains why they wouldn’t be totally unfamiliar with VA Gold/Plat cards). At one point Etihad was using the Qantas lounge in Perth meaning VA Gold/Plat had access to it and over Covid when LHR T4 was shut Etihad was also using the Qantas lounge at Heathrow.

Was excited to see 4xJ available CDG-DOH-SYD in late July on VA website
Had CDG-DOH-ADL in Y and was keen to change final destination and cabin
Sadly, on calling, told lots of phantom QR availability on VA site today so neither possible :(
Didn't come as a massive surprise as nothing at all on CX or BA sites and only mixed class on QR site

Regardless I'll call and figure out if it's possible but will have to wait until tomorrow when it's open again.
Answer is a no. Seems they refuse to make a change to a ticket that's existing unless there is still award space on the same flight.

I have a question which I'm struggling to find an answer for.
If I join Qatar Privilege Club, I know I will earn points on a Qantas flight to Brasil (Qantas to Santiago), can I then transfer those Avios frequent flyer points to Velocity? :)

Any help would be appreciated as I really cannot find this info on the Qatar site.

I would assume (Qpoints) status points would not be transferrable, which would make sense.

If I join Qatar Privilege Club, I know I will earn points on a Qantas flight to Brasil (Qantas to Santiago), can I then transfer those Avios frequent flyer points to Velocity? :)

Any help would be appreciated as I really cannot find this info on the Qatar site.

I would assume (Qpoints) status points would not be transferrable, which would make sense.
No, unfortunately not possible to transfer anything between Privilege Club and Virgin.

You would however be able to transfer miles from Privilege Club to the British Airways Executive Club.

No, you can’t transfer Avios to VFF.

You got access the the LH lounge in MUC with VA status when flying, not SQ but LH?? Now thats a first!
It was strictly speaking a SQ-codeshare operated by Lufthansa.

Have previously got into the same lounge (pull your own Bavarian beer) when flying Etihad using VFF Gold status.

There seems to be a 'twilight' zone with Lufthansa and Gold VFF access even when flying a non-VA badged flight. If you don't have the actual card on you then you get access declined (happened in 2016 when clearing out cards before flying and took out VFF card in error). They argued that unless they have magnetic stripe/chip for their reader then they cannot access the required system. May have been true or just a clever excuse.

That's the only time from 2010 to 2023 (ex-Covid absences) that we've not gained access. Many times without any issues at all as the staff member seemed to know exactly what options to select to get to the right place, it seems that for VFF cards they have to select a secondary menu option before they swipe.

For the initial check-in using Lufthansa Business check-in, having presented the printed our e-ticket T&Cs saw the agent select a couple of menu options on her terminal and correct her initial statement about the baggage allowance. The (updated) e-ticket which had changed our originally booked MUC SIN flight from an SQ operated to a LH operated flight - still showed the exact same baggage allowance as for the originally booked itinerary @ 25kg. She also said that we'd have received the additional allowance but we did not need it.

There was one more lengthy 'issue' though, which saw me left on my own as my better half headed into the lounge. Still we had many hours before the flight boarding began (we always leave some extra hours for early arrival in case there is snow disruption between Austria & Munich Airport).

Online Checkin started 48hrs (24?) prior to flight time, so I dutifully stayed up to checkin & get our seat allocation (expecting the worst). Pleasantly surprised to find we had been allocated near dream seats (for us). However, Lufthansa have not updated their system for Covid entry requirements for Australia. That meant I could not complete the checkin as I had no 'acredited test result' to upload. Tried contacting Lufthansa 'Help' online - nothing doing. Sent off an email & to this day still no reply.

Got to airport & at the checkin, to my/our horror our seats had been changed from window & adjacent to Centre aisle & middle. Check-in agent said there was a empty window & adjacent empty but she couldn't access it - try at the lounge.

At the lounge after being admitted, I went over to the internal desk. Following a friendly discussion about the flaws/problems with their online checkin AND nothing saying that allocated seats can be forfeited if checkin not completed - a call to somebody got the seats released to us.

Well, happy to report my Qatar status-match got me access to the Qantas First lounge at SYD over the weekend. I was flying J with Q on a 737 (and gee, have to say not a patch on VA's J service either). Now, even better: I attached my Qatar status-matched One World Emerald to the ticket and headed on up for some Neil Perry-inspired munchies. Not bad. Slugged a bit of Pommery as well. Then, I headed down to the badly-in-need-of-an-upgrade 'Business Lounge' where I had the lounge staff remove my Qatar number and put in my not-so-lovely QF Bronze number instead. It confused them a touch, but you know I was totally determined to collect those 80 SCs and I guess some QF points, not that I find them all that useful really. Please VA, will you start flying to AKL again soon, huh?

Hello All,

First time traveling to Europe (Paris to be exact) on Qatar Airways from SYD. VFF Gold here and I'm wondering what lounge am I eligible to access from Sydney. Looking at Velocity's website, it will direct me to Qatar's website, and from there it's saying their lounge is the Qantas lounge.

Anyone traveled recently and managed to use Qantas lounge as VFF Gold on Qatar?

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Hello All,

First time traveling to Europe (Paris to be exact) on Qatar Airways from SYD. VFF Gold here and I'm wondering what lounge am I eligible to access from Sydney. Looking at Velocity's website, it will direct me to Qatar's website, and from there it's saying their lounge is the Qantas lounge.

Anyone traveled recently and managed to use Qantas lounge as VFF Gold on Qatar?
Air New Zealand or Qantas lounges for Sydney. Just make sure you flash your VA Gold card and ask for a lounge pass from Qatar before you pass security (from Qatar check-in) or you'll find it very difficult (maybe impossible) to gain entry, as Virgin Aus does not have an agreement with ANZ or Qantas (up to Qatar to authorise it).

Shouldn't be this way, but it tends to work this way from my experience and others on here who have not asked during check-in.

Have a wonderful flight.

Last edited:
Air New Zealand or Qantas lounges for Sydney.
You’re correct about everything else except for this. Whilst someone with oneworld status would get access to both, those with VA status only get a pass to access the Air NZ lounge.

You’re correct about everything else except for this. Whilst someone with oneworld status would get access to both, those with VA status only get a pass to access the Air NZ lounge.
Not what I've found, however, ANZ keeps their lounge open for Qatar past the last ANZ flight, but Qantas does not.

Do you have a link? Not saying you're wrong, but I'd like an see the official link that states this for any future flights - always good to be armed with info as the clarity is a little messed up at this time.

Last edited:
Do you have a link? Not saying you're wrong, but I'd like an see the official link that states this for any future flights - always good to be armed with info as the clarity is a little messed up at this time.
This article by points hacks sums up the Australia lounge nicely:

Basically in each airport Qatar flies to they have a default lounge, in Australia this is the following
BNE - Air NZ Lounge
SYD - Air NZ Lounge
MEL - Marhaba Lounge
ADL - Virgin Lounge
PER - Air NZ Lounge

In Australia these are all 3rd party lounges and as a result passengers receive an invitation at check in.

Obviously the normal oneworld policies apply as Qatar is a oneworld airline, if there also happens to be a lounge operated by a oneworld carrier (for example Qantas) then they allow oneworld first/business/status holders in to their lounges with no special invitation required.

In Sydney this means access looks something like this:
Qantas First LoungeQantas Business LoungeAir NZ Lounge (default lounge)
Qatar First ClassYes (access allowed under oneworld poicies) +1 guestYes (access allowed under oneworld poicies) +1 guestYes (access allowed due to Qatar 3rd party contract) +1 guest
Qatar Business Class NoYes (access allowed under oneworld poicies) no guestsYes (access allowed under oneworld poicies) no guests
Oneworld EmeraldYes (access allowed under oneworld poicies) +1 guestYes (access allowed under oneworld poicies) +1 guestYes (access allowed due to Qatar 3rd party contract) +1 guest
Oneworld SahppireNoYes (access allowed under oneworld poicies) +1 guestYes (access allowed due to Qatar 3rd party contract) +1 guest
Virgin Australia PlatinumNo - oneworld rules don't applyNo - oneworld rules don't applyYes (access allowed due to Qatar 3rd party contract) +1 guest
Virgin Australia GoldNo - oneworld rules don't applyNo - oneworld rules don't applyYes (access allowed due to Qatar 3rd party contract) +1 guest

Things get a bit more confusing in other places like Los Angeles, because Qatar's default lounge a TBIT is actually the oneworld business class lounge (which just so happens to be operated by Qantas), eligible passengers (which includes VA Gold/Plat) would receive an invitation to the oneworld lounge.

Last edited:
This article by points hacks sums up the Australia lounge nicely:

Basically in each airport Qatar flies to they have a default lounge, in Australia this is the following
BNE - Air NZ Lounge
SYD - Air NZ Lounge
MEL - Marhaba Lounge
ADL - Virgin Lounge
PER - Air NZ Lounge

In Australia these are all 3rd party lounges and as a result passengers receive an invitation at check in.

Obviously the normal oneworld policies apply as Qatar is a oneworld airline, if there also happens to be a lounge operated by a oneworld carrier (for example Qantas) then they allow oneworld first/business/status holders in to their lounges with no special invitation required.

In Sydney this means access looks something like this:
Qantas First LoungeQantas Business LoungeAir NZ Lounge (default lounge)
Qatar First ClassYes (access allowed under oneworld poicies) +1 guestYes (access allowed under oneworld poicies) +1 guestYes (access allowed due to Qatar 3rd party contract) +1 guest
Qatar Business Class NoYes (access allowed under oneworld poicies) no guestsYes (access allowed under oneworld poicies) no guests
Oneworld EmeraldYes (access allowed under oneworld poicies) +1 guestYes (access allowed under oneworld poicies) +1 guestYes (access allowed due to Qatar 3rd party contract) +1 guest
Oneworld SahppireNoYes (access allowed under oneworld poicies) +1 guestYes (access allowed due to Qatar 3rd party contract) +1 guest
Virgin Australia PlatinumNo - oneworld rules don't applyNo - oneworld rules don't applyYes (access allowed due to Qatar 3rd party contract) +1 guest
Virgin Australia GoldNo - oneworld rules don't applyNo - oneworld rules don't applyYes (access allowed due to Qatar 3rd party contract) +1 guest

Things get a bit more confusing in other places like Los Angeles, because Qatar's default lounge a TBIT is actually the oneworld business class lounge (which just so happens to be operated by Qantas), eligible passengers (which includes VA Gold/Plat) would receive an invitation to the oneworld lounge.
You should consult to airport lounges. This chart is so much clearer than whatever lottery, magic or feelings they use to determine access normally.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back