Virgin Australia lounge access for AMEX Plat Charge supp card

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisFlyer

Established Member
Hi all,

I know that the AMEX Plat Charge card provides access to VA domestic lounges, but the T&Cs seem to imply that the perk is only for the primary cardholder (not a supplementary cardholder flying by themselves).

Have any Plat Charge supplementary cardholders on here had any luck accessing VA lounges using their card?

Obviously, I know that one supp. cardholder can get a free Priority Pass card (good for free food and bev in SYD and BNE), but VA lounge access would be nice to have. :)

I know that the AMEX Plat Charge card provides access to VA domestic lounges, but the T&Cs seem to imply that the perk is only for the primary cardholder (not a supplementary cardholder flying by themselves).

I agree with your reading of the T&C's, so it shouldn't be considered a benefit, but I'm aware of one non primary card holder that has been making excellent use of the VA lounges on their own...

I've never had an issue getting supp's in. I don't believe VA can tell who's a supp and who's not, they just check that you have a card and the name matches the boarding pass. YMMV

Good luck

Thanks both! Am currently weighing up the cost/benefit of the card as $1,200 is quite the annual fee, but my VA Gold will likely slip to Silver soon, so having VA lounge access saves a few hundred $s on paying for VA lounge membership, and I'm sure my partner would also appreciate having access when flying on her own. :)

Bear in mind that you get $300 travel credit on the plat charge and if you get the companion card (Platinum Reserve - free with the charge) you get another $400 travel credit which, as long as you spend more than $700 on travel each year and can use the credits, brings the cost down to $500.

Also, some professional associations have the platinum charge at a reduced rate - i.e. through CPA Australia I got the platinum charge for $950 which makes the "benefit cost" $250 given the aforementioned credits. Finally, I've gotten significant value out of the Amex merchant credits (i.e. spend $300 get $50 back at Harvey Norman, Shop Small etc.)...All in all, I'm a big fan of this card.

All the best.

By shifting personal spend onto the Reserve/other cards, I'm using my Charge almost entirely for business expenses. As long as my accountant is agreeable, I'm hoping to make my card turn a profit even before statement credits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and enjoy a better viewing experience, as well as full participation on our community forums.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to enjoy lots of other benefits and discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back