Virgin/QANTAS/Qatar confusion

Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Red
I'm booked on a Qatar return flight in January 2025, hoping to boost my QANTAS status credits to help me retain Gold for another year, and according to the QFF calculator I should be able to achieve my objective.

However, I see in Point Hack today that there are now DOUBLE Velocity points on offer for Qatar flights in 2025 [ Offer: 100% bonus Velocity Points with Qatar Airways
Expiry: Activate and book by 20 October 2024, travel between 10 January and 25 March 2025].

So I'm confused: will I still be getting QFF status credits/points (OWA), or will the new Virgin/Qatar alliance trump QFF? I have both FF program memberships...

I'm booked on a Qatar return flight in January 2025, hoping to boost my QANTAS status credits to help me retain Gold for another year, and according to the QFF calculator I should be able to achieve my objective.

However, I see in Point Hack today that there are now DOUBLE Velocity points on offer for Qatar flights in 2025 [ Offer: 100% bonus Velocity Points with Qatar Airways
Expiry: Activate and book by 20 October 2024, travel between 10 January and 25 March 2025].

So I'm confused: will I still be getting QFF status credits/points (OWA), or will the new Virgin/Qatar alliance trump QFF? I have both FF program memberships...

Whichever ff you put on your booking or at check in. That being said i think you need to activate then book the flight, not the other way around.

Also depending on your booking class QR can have low or 0 earnings with Qantas.

One or the other depending on which FF# is in the system.
Post automatically merged:

Also depending on your booking class QR can have low or 0 earnings with Qantas.
Presumably, ONLY heavily discounted whY fares?

Yep. Although J earns at a pathetic rate to/from Australia also but the OP would already know that if they have used the QF calculator.
A little caveat is that J earnings from Asia to DOH / DOH to USA etc are excellent on QR for QFF. Depends on the OPs route whether or not to credit to QFF.
I credit Europe - DOH and any other low earners to a completely different airline FF program, also part owned by QR.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back