What are you reading right now?

I have just finished the new Richard Osman book. We solve murders. I still can’t believe that his books are so popular.

But have started in earnest the first book in the Great Library series, Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine. Being a librarian I may be biased, but it's got a great premise. The library in Alexandria survived and is the source of the world's knowledge, but at what cost? No one is allowed to keep original books, all must be stored in the library and there are library soldiers who might search for illegal copies. There are dissenters called Burners who feel that knowledge should be free for all, not controlled. I'm about 80 pages in so far and I'm hooked! :D
It sounds like it's the opposite of the Fahrenheit 451, where books are burned by firemen as the government doesn't want people reading books, as it gives them dangerous ideas which would make them unhappy. A great read when you think Ray Bradbury wrote it in 1953, and amongst the ideas in the book is that people have earpieces in all the time listening so they don't have to interact with others (sound familiar), and watch wall sized TV's where they can be part of the cast on soapies (who wants to be Brooke or Ryde on the Bold and the Beautiful).

I'll have to check it out.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Probably belongs in another thread.. but I find books pre-structured as potential movie scripts to be irititating.
It seems there is no way to sort these books as one needs to get into the story before the predictability of the structure becomes evident.
Rant over...

Probably belongs in another thread.. but I find books pre-structured as potential movie scripts to be irititating.
It seems there is no way to sort these books as one needs to get into the story before the predictability of the structure becomes evident.
Rant over...
I take it you've read Matthew Reilly? Haha. He wanted to make movies, but I think his scripts were too costly to make, so he turned to writing novels because you can have an unlimited budget.

So his novels are like reading action movies. I enjoy them, but yes, they fall into a bit of predictability.

Though, he's since written and directed a movie called Interceptor. Like watching a Matthew Reilly novel! Heh.

He's also lovely to chat to, always has time for his fans. I've been lucky enough to meet him several times over the past 20 years.

Received 2 books yesterday and look forward to reading both, dare say neither will appeal to some on here.

Noam Chomsky is one of my favourite authors.

Hello. First time I have ever posted (please be kind if I haven’t posted it properly!). But just thought you guys might all appreciate ‘Round The Bend’ by Nevil Shute. I have somehow ended up with a very old edition from the UK. But think about it every time I fly (esp. via Asia). Don’t agree with some of the religious threads but also think it is written in mind for those agnostics etc from the time. I re-read every couple of years (like most of my fave books!)

Rant over...
Any personal rant is valid. And I "get" this one.

Random reply, done with the aim of distraction, is to share my current book challenge.

I read some stuff by Keith Laumer many years ago. The "Retief" series. Suddenly, after about twelve decades, I decided I wanted to read these again. Sure enough, with the advent of "Amazon" and like I can probably source one of Keith's rare paperbacks in mere days. But that would require me to get over my rejection of all that is modern. A deal breaker. That is not the path I choose, never the easy one.

I have instead sworn a sacred oath that I will only seize upon one of Keith's books that is sold in an Op Shop. As in Vinnies or similar. By this diabolical intent, I know that my desire for reading is up against a myriad of confounding influences that sway the cosmos. Clearly the first and biggest challenge is that such a book has been donated to my local charity. The second is that it has been displayed correctly.

Welcome aboard AFF @LizF :)
Thank you! Sorry, I am a bit of a ‘lurker’ on this site (more broadly, on any social media) though have been reading since moving over from the UK a few years ago. So have alas not got many Qantas/Virgin tricks that have not already been covered. But do read books voraciously so, having stumbled across this thread, feel like there is some value I could add to try and give back a bit!

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back