What was your most memorable in-flight meal?

NM

Enthusiast
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
We often remember our best and worst experiences. So I thought it might be interesting to see what AFF members consider their most memorable in-flight mean.

• Please only post about your one most memorable in-flight meal.
  • Must have been in-flight and not in a lounge, restaurant etc.
  • Please identify the airline, cabin class, route if you remember, approximate year of the flight.
  • What made it stand out as your most memorable in-flight meal.

Note this is asking about your most memorable meal, not necessarily the best food, best service etc. Sometimes things can be memorable for being bad. So not asking for best, or worst, but looking for most memorable and why.

Having had the privilege to enjoy many airlines and their offerings, including op ups to F on Emirates, the most surprising and very enjoyable afternoon snack was on a BA J flight from Faro Portugal, to LHR last year, where a full on English Afternoon Tea was served replete with clotted cream, hot scones, sponge kiss, finger sandwiches, hot English breakfast tea and a double G&T.

Sometimes it's the simple unexpected treats that have the most impact.

My most memorable meal was in 1989 on a QF B747-200 operating BNE-HNL (en-route to LAX). The backstory was that I was supposed to be in Business class, but a TA fare calculation error meant I was relegated to economy. I paid the extra $150 that was miscalculated so I could be in Business class as booked, but then was told the Business cabin was full so issued a Y boarding pass. When walking out to the aircraft and about to climb the stairs (yes, BNE International in 1989) I was handed a First Class BP, turned left and tool my seat 3K.

This was my first ever international flight in a premium cabin. While the recliner seat would not make the grade for a transcontinental domestic J cabin today, it was the best of the best available at the time.

When time for the meal, the thing that stands out to me was the full silver service, including the flight attendant carving the roast veal off the bone on the trolley in the aisle beside me, asking if I prefer her to slice it think or thin. Then the roast veal and vegetables were plated in front of me (well, beside me), gravy applied and wine offered.

I have probably had better food and certainly better in-flight hard product since, But as my very first experience of first class in-flight meal service, it still stands out to me as being my most memorable in-flight meal.

Nice idea for a thread @NM - most memorable recently was the Japanese Meal in J on ANA... unexpectedly good with lots of small varied, accompanied by a great range of drinks. Japanese food is not typically my favourite cuisine but this meal was memorably good.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Finding plastic fragments about the size of my little finger in my Book the Cook meal (not from the plastic tub itself as it was still intact) on an SQ flight in Premium Economy from SIN to BNE in 2017. It (the meal not the plastic) was still delicious though and the crew gave me a $75 inflight voucher as a goodwill gesture...

Chengdu to Singapore with Silk Air had amazing food that I sometimes think about. The plane was rubbish, the airport lounge was disgusting, the FAs were hmmm but the meal was outstanding.

Mine is back in 1970s on a Qantas flight 3 to San Francisco from Sydney with a few stops on a 6 week old 747 238. I would have about 12.
The menu was nice and the only issue was the starter which was tongue and I was not going to eat that...
Food came and the starter i thought was Devon. Yum as a 12 year old.
Much later I remembered the menu and was so upset with myself 😀
Loved the bread roll so much that took my Dads one for later and popped it in my bag . Later was a few days, and it was as hard as rock.
The fun of being a kid and learning .

We also got a tray rather than box

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back