Where to obtain Euros?

cgichard

I need to obtain low value Euros for small purchases, entrance fees, donations at monasteries, taxis and tips on the smaller Greek islands while on a cruisein a few days' time. Where best to do the exchange? At Melbourne Airport pre-flight (using ING Everyday account; at Heathrow before my flight to Athens (using an HSBC UK debit card); or leave it until I get to Athens airport (using one or other of those cards)? I have some AU$ cash in hand but not as much as I want in Euros.
ETA: at Singapore airport would be another possibility

Last edited:
This may be useful for you

EDIT. I just had a re-read and maybe not, sorry.

I need to obtain low value Euros for small purchases, entrance fees, donations at monasteries, taxis and tips on the smaller Greek islands while on a cruisein a few days' time. Where best to do the exchange? At Melbourne Airport pre-flight (using ING Everyday account; at Heathrow before my flight to Athens (using an HSBC UK debit card); or leave it until I get to Athens airport (using one or other of those cards)? I have some AU$ cash in hand but not as much as I want in Euros.
ETA: at Singapore airport would be another possibility
I would just get it from an ATM at Athens airport using a Fx free debit card and just swallow the ATM fee...should be close to the spot rate and will save a lot of hassle trying to change prior to trip.

Thanks, kpc, but wouldn't the ATM just spit out larger denomination notes?
Not necessarily. It might / should display denominations available and then maybe withdraw a value to force smaller amounts eg 30€ can only be a 20 & 10 or 3x 10.

Back