Where to obtain Euros?

cgichard

I need to obtain low value Euros for small purchases, entrance fees, donations at monasteries, taxis and tips on the smaller Greek islands while on a cruisein a few days' time. Where best to do the exchange? At Melbourne Airport pre-flight (using ING Everyday account; at Heathrow before my flight to Athens (using an HSBC UK debit card); or leave it until I get to Athens airport (using one or other of those cards)? I have some AU$ cash in hand but not as much as I want in Euros.
ETA: at Singapore airport would be another possibility

Last edited:
This may be useful for you

EDIT. I just had a re-read and maybe not, sorry.

I need to obtain low value Euros for small purchases, entrance fees, donations at monasteries, taxis and tips on the smaller Greek islands while on a cruisein a few days' time. Where best to do the exchange? At Melbourne Airport pre-flight (using ING Everyday account; at Heathrow before my flight to Athens (using an HSBC UK debit card); or leave it until I get to Athens airport (using one or other of those cards)? I have some AU$ cash in hand but not as much as I want in Euros.
ETA: at Singapore airport would be another possibility
I would just get it from an ATM at Athens airport using a Fx free debit card and just swallow the ATM fee...should be close to the spot rate and will save a lot of hassle trying to change prior to trip.

Thanks, kpc, but wouldn't the ATM just spit out larger denomination notes?
Not necessarily. It might / should display denominations available and then maybe withdraw a value to force smaller amounts eg 30€ can only be a 20 & 10 or 3x 10.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and enjoy a better viewing experience, as well as full participation on our community forums.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to enjoy lots of other benefits and discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back