Whisky for 50th birthday

Xrayspice

Can someone please recommend a whisky to buy for a 50th birthday.
Am looking at Glenfarclas 25 years? Any reviews on this or any other suggestions?
Thanks

What's your budget? Going by the reference to Glenfarclas 25 I would guess it's in the vicinity of $400-$500? Also do you know any whisky that the recipient already likes?

What's your budget? Going by the reference to Glenfarclas 25 I would guess it's in the vicinity of $400-$500? Also do you know any whisky that the recipient already likes?
He drinks the cheap stuff. So wanted to buy a special one.
Post automatically merged:

Glenfarclas 25 is $329 with Qantas, so budget is around there

If he normally "drinks the cheap stuff", my hunch is that a $300+ bottle is probably overkill.

If he likes peat, I'd suggest something like Lagavulin 16. If he's not into peat maybe look into something from the Glenmorangie range?

If he normally "drinks the cheap stuff", my hunch is that a $300+ bottle is probably overkill.

If he likes peat, I'd suggest something like Lagavulin 16. If he's not into peat maybe look into something from the Glenmorangie range?
Overkill is worth it for a 50th, thanks for your suggestions,

Overkill is worth it for a 50th
I wish someone had told my family that!!

In all seriousness, when it comes to single malt scotch, you don't want to be getting non-peaty whisky for a peat lover and vice versa. Find out what he likes now, and buy a (much) more upmarket version of that. Alternatively you could send him to a tasting, where he can then choose his poison after that.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back