Your recommended no fee credit card

bamboo tree

As per the topic heading, I'm considering changing one of my cards to a no fee option. Does anyone have any recommendations? Alternatively, I might consider something with a low fee if the value proposition was good but the aim is to minimise my annual fees.

Thanks!

How much do you spend and what are your other cards?

Unless you're spending high six figures per year the only real value for credit cards in Australia is through sign up bonuses.

I use Coles No Annual Fee card. Gives a low Flybuys earn, but usually comes with a sign on bonus.

NAB Rewards Signature card now rebates the monthly fee if you spend $5K in the month, so conditionally no fee. Also, if interested

• International transaction fees will no longer apply (currently 3%).
  • NAB Rewards Points earn rate3 currently 1.25 NAB Rewards points / $1 spend on eligible purchases (uncapped), will change to the following rates:
    • 1.5 NAB Rewards points / $1 spend on eligible purchases up to $15,000 spend in a Rewards Statement period (calendar month), then
    • 0.5 points / $1 spend on eligible purchases, uncapped.
  • Mobile Phone Insurance will be a new benefit covering accidental damage and theft, where you have a monthly mobile plan and pay with your NAB Rewards Signature card4.
  • Complimentary Delayed flight lounge pass will be a new benefit giving you access to selected airport lounges at select airport locations, in the event of a 60 minute or more delay to domestic or international flights5.

As per the topic heading, I'm considering changing one of my cards to a no fee option. Does anyone have any recommendations? Alternatively, I might consider something with a low fee if the value proposition was good but the aim is to minimise my annual fees.!
For OS purchases, the Latitude 28° MC (fee free) and no international transaction fees is a contender for anyone wanting to avoid the usual 3% fee. It also comes with a once annual 3GB / 14d Flexiroam eSIM as well as 15% off most FR eSIM packages. They also do the occasional cash backs.

I regret not getting one of the Coles MCs before I retired. As mentioned above, they at least give some points for that OS spend.

The NAB Signature VISA card is well worth a look if it aligns with spending habits.

Thanks everyone for the informative responses so far.

How does the "The Qantas American Express Discovery Card" stack up in this segment?

Although the Coles MC is a good card, it is worth noting it is losing its fee-free international transactions from 1 July.
Thanks for letting me. We've had it for years and hadn't received notification that it was losing the fee free international transactions. I'll shop around and cancel it before the next annual fee is due.

Thanks for letting me. We've had it for years and hadn't received notification that it was losing the fee free international transactions. I'll shop around and cancel it before the next annual fee is due.
@levelnine - if not for you mentioning this, I never would've known as, like @asterix mentioned above, I also received absolutely no notification.
This is really sad. It's the main reason that I have the card. In terms of 0% international fee points-earning credit cards, what do others consider to be good cards?
Thanks again for the notice.

No foreign fees, mastercard so has better FX rates and comes with reasonable travel insurance that has no activation requirements.

Although the Coles MC is a good card, it is worth noting it is losing its fee-free international transactions from 1 July.
Thanks for that, I wouldn’t have known either. Was this advertised on the statement?
I guess I’ll need to find an alternative points and free card too.
I like having 2, so will use Bankwest Qantas and something else

Thanks for that, I wouldn’t have known either. Was this advertised on the statement?
I guess I’ll need to find an alternative points and free card too.
I like having 2, so will use Bankwest Qantas and something else
It isn't on my April statement, I'm guessing it will appear on the May statement issued next week.

No foreign fees, mastercard so has better FX rates and comes with reasonable travel insurance that has no activation requirements.
I could be mistaken but I don't believe that card earns points.
Although BankWest does have points-earning no-foreign-transaction-fee credit cards, the earn rate is on the lower side (at its best, its only just above the Coles one at its worst).

Bendigo B Ready is a great contender to BankWest, I've found - however awaiting for my others cards to be closed down before opening a new card.

Back