Major changes to Velocity Frequent Flyer announced 17/10/24

AFF Editor

Established Member
Editor
Velocity Frequent Flyer has just unveiled a huge range of program changes, which take effect between now and October 2025.

The changes include:
  • Changes to the way status credits are earned, including reduced earn on partner airlines, spend-based earn on Virgin Australia and a new requirement to earn at least 50% of status credits from VA marketed flights
  • Changes to the cost of reward seats
  • New Forever Gold and Platinum Plus status tiers
  • Higher points upgrade costs when upgrading from Economy Flex fares
  • Reduced points earn on VA flights, unless you’ve earned points with a Velocity credit card in the last 12 months

Details here:

There’s also a new requirement to earn at least 50% of the status credits needed for each status tier from Virgin Australia marketed flights that you’ve personally flown. This will come into effect on 1 October 2025, replacing the eligible sector requirement.

That will undermine the family pooling for a lot of people.

Not everything Qantas does is a good idea. Simpler and fairer was poorly received when introduced and drove many away to other FF programs.

VA also doesn't have the competing international network to "protect" like Qantas does.

I’d say this change was a “hey Qantas, hold my beer” moment.

I can’t imagine QF even considering introducing the 50% requirement.

I’d say this change was a “hey Qantas, hold my beer” moment.

I can’t imagine QF even considering introducing the 50% requirement.
Velocity used have status based on spend back in the DJ days

From April 2025, Velocity will award status credits for Virgin Australia flights based on the amount you spend, rather than the distance you fly and the fare type.
As forecast ...
Nah, they'll go the Velocity domestic (and increasingly USA) way, pioneered in Australia by @crazydave

(I.e. SC earned per $ spend)
Where is @CrazyDave?

So this is simpler and fairer and has been enhanced

I've been Plat with VA and now Gold and status doesn't worry me at all these days with VA.

If I want business I'll pay for it
If I want economy X I'll pay for it
If I want an extra/heavier bag I'll pay for it

I have access to lounges with my Amex Plat

No need to worry about status

For others, it's a pretty bad change though

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Some interesting changes, obviously doesn't affect me and overall seems like it will be harder for most, but probably a smart play by the airline in the grand scheme of things. I wonder when profiles will update to show how many SC people have towards forever gold and what percentage of users will qualify immediately - reminds me of when QF introduced LTP there were very few who automatically qualified, but I'm sure they based the requirement off how many they thought would get there straight away, so perhaps VA is doing the same.

I'm wondering how corporate/government customers will react to the change. Particularly government where the air fares don't earn points, but earn status credits. Previously there wasn't any reason to pick a more expensive airfare for the points (other than deciding Restricted or Flex), now there is. The more spend, the more status credits, creating an incentive to fly on the more expensive flights.

I would’ve reached platinum plus this year except the fact that I’ve switched some remaing domestic flying over to Qantas because I was a few SC short in that scheme.

So Ill now refocus back on earning domestic flights under velocity and keep my Qantas status by my international travel.

So Virgin comes out a bit ahead in my case.

where can you find your Virgin lifetime SC score?

Access to VIP Aussie call centre would be a bonus for certain transactions. ‘Hitting the brick wall’ with o/s call centres is not fun when you actually have a slightly more complex issue.

But that being said, you shouldn’t need Platinum 1 to get that sort of service :(

Good to see they have implemented one of my recommendations… the ‘fly later’ benefit.

I wonder if the new levels will be retrospectively applied?

So this is simpler and fairer and has been enhanced
See earlier suggestion. “Complex and worse”….(TM pending)
I've been Plat with VA and now Gold and status doesn't worry me at all these days with VA.

If I want business I'll pay for it
If I want economy X I'll pay for it
If I want an extra/heavier bag I'll pay for it

I have access to lounges with my Amex Plat
You can pay for Lounge also. Annual lounge membership. Same lounge from Red to WP.
No need to worry about status
You’re probably in the minority of VFF’rs. I’m pleased I’m not actively maintaining VA status (until the next TSC offer comes along 😂).
For others, it's a pretty bad change though
I suspect there’ll be some dummy spits to follow….
I just hope this doesn’t give Qantas any ideas.
Been there, done that.

What's not clear to me is how family pooling affects the earning to retain status. Does it remain the same just with the new requirements? And how does family pooling factor in earning lifetime status?

It's a step in the right direction at least! It's just not clear whether you have to earn all of the SCs yourself or does family pooling count towards that.

Members like me who don't travel a lot for work and count on family pooling/partner airlines to earn status credits , reaching lifetime gold on VFF will be a nightmare.

If am going to earn reduced velocity status credits on Singapore Airlines or other partner airlines then I would switch loyalties to a star alliance partner which will give me enough coverage when travelling overseas.
Post automatically merged:

does family pooling count towards that.
It was mentioned that family pooling will not count for that.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back