Major changes to Velocity Frequent Flyer announced 17/10/24

Velocity used have status based on spend back in the DJ days

As forecast ...Where is @CrazyDave?

It’s the 50% SC on VA marketed that’s the “ouch”.

You can requalify WP on QF with 3.3% on QF.

I just hope this doesn’t give Qantas any ideas for spend based status credits and 50% requirement!

Damn straight.

It was mentioned that family pooling will not count for that.
Ah. Thank you for that!
Post automatically merged:

Also, does the counting towards lifetime gold start now (or whenever it's supposed to start) or does past flying count as well?

So this is simpler and fairer and has been enhanced

I've been Plat with VA and now Gold and status doesn't worry me at all these days with VA.

If I want business I'll pay for it
If I want economy X I'll pay for it
If I want an extra/heavier bag I'll pay for it

I have access to lounges with my Amex Plat

No need to worry about status

For others, it's a pretty bad change though

It depends , how often you travel and does it include travel along with family. I don't have any issue with the lounge access but when you travel overseas with family then the platinum status does help at times with priority boarding/extra luggage. YMMV

I think this is a good move. Rewarding flyers who keep flying after they've retained their status and giving them the reward for continued loyalty is a good thing.

I have a detailed spreadsheet that tracks number of dollars per status credit for various fare categories and routings, but I guess that's irrelevant now that it'll always be $12 per SC. Less chance for outsized value status earn, so I'll probably pay cash for business less since you won't get more SC per dollar than economy

It’s the 50% SC on VA marketed that’s the “ouch”.

You can requalify WP on QF with 3.3% on QF.

Damn straight.
Yep. I was VA WP for a good 10 years or so since the original SM from QF. Negligible family pooling but mostly EY / SQ J (non-codeshare) to / from Europe. I’m not going to bother to workout what that would look like under the new regime, but I suspect I’d struggle to retain Gold.

As for “Forever Gold”* - I probably have less than half the 9k component. Curious what comes up when they start providing that info.

*”Forever” is an overly optimistic word in the airline world. At least “Lifetime” is capped by yours or the airlines….

Last edited:
Overall, broadly positive for my flying - will look to achieve PP based on my Choice fare minimum purchase for every flight. That’s going to take some doing as the majority must be my flying - as Pooling will be a little less attractive.

Must ring up and check out my current lifetime SC (@RooFlyer its the only way to know currently, unless you’ve been keeping a yearly tab) to know where I am against the upcoming introduction of FGold

Last edited:
Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back