Major changes to Velocity Frequent Flyer announced 17/10/24

I would’ve reached platinum plus this year except the fact that I’ve switched some remaing domestic flying over to Qantas because I was a few SC short in that scheme.

So Ill now refocus back on earning domestic flights under velocity and keep my Qantas status by my international travel.

So Virgin comes out a bit ahead in my case.

where can you find your Virgin lifetime SC score?
Likely won't be made available on the website until that scheme is introduced (along with platinum plus) in October 2025.

Velocity following the lead of the US programs, and where all programs will eventually end, including Qantas: loyalty based on dollars spent with the airline alongside strong incentives to use co-branded credit cards.
The Velocity co-branded AmEx cards were recently pulled with a note saying that the new version of these card will be "coming soon". I reckon we'll see those new cards in the next few days along with some benefits that align with the new Velocity program.

50% status earn on VA is a big ask when their network doesn't extend further than Bali at the moment. I don't mind booking codeshares but the current VA booking engine usually throws up much worse options than booking direct with UA, SQ etc, and there's limited ability to book PE and multi-city itineraries.

Hmmm - I don't see how Nick Rohrlach can claim that a fare-based system is “an inherently simpler way to track and earn status” as that's obviously and self-evidently NOT the case. Previously, even before booking the flight, I would know that a flight would earn me a certain number of SC's in each booking class, so I could easily plan to ensure I would retain Gold at the start of the earning year. Now, I have no idea how many Status Credits I’ll earn until the moment I pay for a flight and the price is locked in. I can’t be bothered to deal with the inherent uncertainty and doubt I will bother maintaining Gold in future.

As I said recently - airline frequent flyer program enhancements are very rarely good news for most consumers.

I'm glad I just gifted Platinum to Mrs because I doubt I'll make PP. Time for a new spreadsheet.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Will need to sift through the detail but at first glance this doesn't look particularly good for me.

Kills the incentive to book cheap J flights during DSC and TSC promos which means maintaining status will be more expensive, the 50% rule will be trickier to manage and despite being Gold or higher since 2017 there's a looooong way to go before hitting lifetime Gold, which looks to have a higher bar here than it does at Qantas.

Historically I think VA's lower requirements vs QFF status made sense because the airline was always smaller and on shakier ground in terms of long term viability. Wouldn't surprise me now if QFF status is more attainable than VA, which would be a huge problem. They do have some time between now and October 2025 to reconsider but I would think if Qantas ever wanted to run another status match campaign now would be the time!

Access to VIP Aussie call centre would be a bonus for certain transactions. ‘Hitting the brick wall’ with o/s call centres is not fun when you actually have a slightly more complex issue.
This is something I don't really understand. I've phoned BA from Australia and connected to what I assumed was India and had great service. I've phoned AMEX in Australia and definitely connected to the Philippines and received great service. So why is it so hard for Qantas - or VA - to contract and train staff in overseas call centres that know what they're doing. It doesn't make sense to me that others can get it so right while lowering their costs, but our two major airlines can get it so wrong.

Looking further into the terms , if someone is flying for work regularly ( actual frequent traveller) then it might not be a big deal to retain status or attain lifetime gold however for non-travellers like me who fly occasionally for family holidays ... this looks to be a big change.

What I would like to hear? Platinum and Business get to Board BEFORE everyone else. It's becoming a joke with many of my flights having more 'priority' than General boarding. Maybe that will happen when Platinum Plus begins. 🤞🏻

Big jump in SQ carrier charges too (~30%).

(As for the other increases in points, the devaluation is unpleasant, but it's better than an increase in carrier charges and at least there's advance notice - looking at you Lifemiles!)

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back