ACCC action re cancelled Qantas flights

Fare hike after the Australia Red Tail sale ends tomorrow?

Of course, because its not all the ACCC sought, this doesn't really count. Move on, nothing to see here ...

Don’t need a substantial hike. Just by adding $2-3 per ticket they will recoup that in a year

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

How about nixing the executive bonuses, viz. performance (or lack thereof) incentives?

Seriously, is there no sense of honour or integrity in capitalist Australia? (No need to answer, it's either an obvious answer or rhetorical question)

In theory, why couldn't the courts and/or the ACCC demand a more tangible monetary penalty, like $2B, even if that was paid over a set number of years?

Or, perhaps demand that the QF AOC is suspended for 6 months?

In theory, why couldn't the courts and/or the ACCC demand a more tangible monetary penalty, like $2B, even if that was paid over a set number of years?

There is a 'tenor' of penalties for corporate malfeasance - same as for civil/personal crime. To ask for an exceptional penalty would risk not been seen as being serious (grandstanding) by the court.

Of course, you could ask for a measly 5% of turnover - in the case of tech giants, that's real money!

Sure but understand the $120M was an agreed settlement with QF admitting it broke the law. The ACCC could have pursued for much more but that would run the risk of litigating it in Federal Court with a chance it could lose.

The ACCC is unable to ask for suspension of AOC because that penalty does not exist in the legislation

There is a 'tenor' of penalties for corporate malfeasance - same as for civil/personal crime. To ask for an exceptional penalty would risk not been seen as being serious (grandstanding) by the court.

Of course, you could ask for a measly 5% of turnover - in the case of tech giants, that's real money!
The way I see it is that there may be real remedies but then there are punitive damages, i.e. purely to punish in order to discourage future and other such crimes. That latter one should in theory have no limit and it is intended to be punishing.

I'm sure we all grew up on the premise that if you did something wrong, you were entitled in no part to comment or appeal how you were punished, irrespective of how harsh you thought it was. You were guilty, you deserve to be punished. In reality and as a society, the only real line we draw hard in the sand is physical punishment, i.e. injury or death.

With the exception of precedent cases (which I know is incredibly essential to operating the law), I'm struggling to think where Qantas' legal would start to argue in what way is such proposed penalties so frightfully unreasonable, unless they are actually trying to appeal their guilt.
What's so patently wrong with those proposed penalties?

What's so patently wrong with those proposed penalties?

Because it's patently rediculous.

Variously they are not available under legislation, excessive beyond any penalty ever threatened against any AU enterprise for any reason which would never be applied by the courts and would suspend all flying for 60% of air traffic with no other carrier with the capability to fill the gap.

Because it's patently rediculous.

Variously they are not available under legislation, excessive beyond any penalty ever threatened against any AU enterprise for any reason which would never be applied by the courts and would suspend all flying for 60% of air traffic with no other carrier with the capability to fill the gap.
...and we're basically back to the reasons why large corporations never feel they did anything wrong because penalties patently do not actually punish them. I suppose no politician is going to be brave enough to legislate in order to lay the groundwork to possibly dole out such possible penalties (i.e. increase or remove limits).

Why do we legislate limits for penalties?

...and we're basically back to the reasons why large corporations never feel they did anything wrong because penalties patently do not actually punish them. I suppose no politician is going to be brave enough to legislate in order to lay the groundwork to possibly dole out such possible penalties (i.e. increase or remove limits).

We already have alleged maximum penalties for various things the courts refuse to apply because they consider them manifestly excessive and the infringement reduced by a significant percentage or not at all.

Trying to set a precident in one industry out of line with all other industries won't fly nor will a penalty that would cause the business to cease to exist.

The penalty on the travelling public would be worse than the offence

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back