AFR Article - Joe Aston goes BAM!

You are trying to twist what I said...i was referring to a drug company pen! Anyway you are entitled to your opinion...

Sorry I wasn't trying to be obtuse, I failed to pick up your specific reference to only a drug company incentive..

With public money, it is an entirely different situation IMO. And Govt agencies do have policies regarding BFOD etc., although

Yes true.

Political class AFAIAA are not employees of government agencies are not covered by same rules.

Parliamentary rules are written by politicians and these seem to have more holes than Swiss cheese and some pollies of all persuasions choose to just "accidentally" ignore them.

I would just like to see the ATO taxing the recipients for the value they are receiving in the CL.
Never happen - have you seen the "reasonable" expenses limits for travel before you might need to ante up receipts ... these are quantified by public servants in Canberra ...

TD 2024/3 | Legal database travel and overtime

It's always funny to see the lengths that the Qantas apologisers will go in order to defend a company engaging in a textbook case of regulatory capture.

The blame seems to lie at the feet of anyone but the company engaging in the practice.

But it's politicians' fault — Qantas are the innocent party here! But it's the fault of other companies that also do it — Qantas are merely trying to keep up. But it's your fault — you should run for Parliament if you're unhappy with it!

The last one is my absolute favourite.

But FF status and DSC are!
Yes, the drug analogy works well. I think the drug addiction analogy works even better IMO. BTW some of us have an allergy to it, so that analogy also applies🤣.

CL ? Must give these people a high when they go up the escalator turn right and go through the glass door on left at SYD

Drug company pens are the 💩-tiest pens around.

But here is an idea, if coffee mugs/pens are so mighty as an inducement tool, the airline should just cease CL (as it is not an effective inducement tool) and just give politicians, judges etc a Qantas coffee mug / pen from time to time. 👍🤣

Last edited:
It's always funny to see the lengths that the Qantas apologisers will go in order to defend a company engaging in a textbook case of regulatory capture.

The blame seems to lie at the feet of anyone but the company engaging in the practice.

But it's politicians' fault — Qantas are the innocent party here! But it's the fault of other companies that also do it — Qantas are merely trying to keep up. But it's your fault — you should run for Parliament if you're unhappy with it!

The last one is my absolute favourite.

Go ahead and report it.

Why is there a huge number of off topics posts in this thread? There are multiple existing threads on the chairman's lounge and plenty of existing discussion on the prime minister's son's membership.

Any chance we can discuss Aston again?

Why is there a huge number of off topics posts in this thread? There are multiple existing threads on the chairman's lounge and plenty of existing discussion on the prime minister's son's membership.

Any chance we can discuss Aston again?
Posts re Chairmans Lounge etc. (although somewhat repeated in the nearly 400 posts within this thread) are not off topic in relation to Joe Aston's publications.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

The whole CL thing doesn’t phase me personally but Albo liaising with AJ directly to get upgrades on QF and EK is not a good look IMO

The PM responds to the situation today:

Albanese defends Qantas allegations (The Oz on-line)

Speaking in his electorate on Sunday afternoon at the Norton Street Italian Festa and asked whether he would be making further declarations to the parliamentary register of interests, the PM said “every single thing has been declared”.

“Every single thing has been declared, every single thing has been declared, which is why it has been reported on, and it is appropriate that those declarations occur,” he said.

“From time to time members of parliament receive upgrades, what’s important is that they are declared, all of mine have been declared, I note that a range of them go back a long period of time,” the PM said.

When it was put to him that he had sought out some of the upgrades, he said: “they have all been declared, which is what is appropriate”.

“(Alan Joyce) was the CEO of the national airline, and as the CEO of the national airline I have the same relationship with him than I have with (former Virgin Australia CEO) John Borghetti,” he said.

When asked whether all politicians should stop taking upgrades from airlines, he said it is “a matter for them”.

Mr Albanese said his son received access to Qantas’ prestigious Chairman’s Lounge when his relationship with his wife ended.

“I put out a media release when my marriage ended, you can’t be more transaparent than that,” he said.

“My plus one became my son.”

Then the question becomes: Does Qantas allow every CL member to invite someone else, if not their spouse/partner? Or was the PM being done a special favour?

In fact are all CL members able to ask spouses/partners?

The PM responds to the situation today:

Albanese defends Qantas allegations (The Oz on-line)

Then the question becomes: Does Qantas allow every CL member to invite someone else, if not their spouse/partner? Or was the PM being done a special favour?

In fact are all CL members able to ask spouses/partners?

As per many previous posts/media reports on this (including AFR) - all CL can have a +1

I can understand why it’s done. All of QF’s international competitors are directly government backed and supported, now their domestic competitor (via the Qatari government and previously Singaporean and NZ governments) as well. You could also say Rex had government backing via the National Party.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Recent Posts

Back