What cheeses me off

As a coffee lover, I'm not against paying over the average for the odd coffee. After all, coffee prices are continuing to rise and a skilled barista can make a world of difference. But if you're going to charge top dollar for it, then you'd better bloody deliver. As you say, all too often it's not only overpriced, but also adds further insult to injury through coughpy execution.
Some of the more expensive but terrible coffee is in countries where diary is a problem. So a black coffee is probably ok but trying to get a Flat White (now very common on menu boards around the world) can be fraught….

Some of the more expensive but terrible coffee is in countries where diary is a problem. So a black coffee is probably ok but trying to get a Flat White (now very common on menu boards around the world) can be fraught….
I once forgot in N.Europe that they would use Italian coffee discriptors and out of habit ordered a Long Black or a Short Black. The total look of horror on the face of the coffee person (they are not baristas in any sense of the term)!

The boss told me off for ordering a “flat white” coffee in the states. Coffee with cream, is what I should have said to the young Afro American waitress…..
Don’t think she understood because of my accent anyway…….

Last edited:
The boss told me off for ordering a “flat white” coffee in the states. Coffee with cream, is what I should have said to the young Afro American waitress…..
Don’t think understood my accent anyway…….

Having lived in Melbourne for >20years (with rare exceptions) from my travels there isn't anything such as a "decent" coffee of any persuasion in the US ;).

Although I do note an Aussie has opened an outlet in NYC which is allegedly pretty good.

If you want expensive, weirdly flavoured, loaded with sugar, hot milk they have a chain called Starb.....

Although I do note an Aussie has opened an outlet in NYC which is allegedly pretty good.
Actually quite a few and charging >USD5 or 6 plus the usual USD1 tip also left - makes me think $6 or $7 in AU for a decent coffee may not be way too much.

Our world today so different than pre Covid - what to do? Get on and enjoy every second as nobody knows what is around the corner 👍

The coffee situation in some parts of the USA has improved a lot in the last decade; you just need to avoid the big chains and know where to go.

There are many cafes in NYC opened by Aussies with Aussie baristas Bluestone Lane, Dudley's and Bourke St Bakery.

However, one of my favorites is Devocian in Williamsburg, not Aussie owned its Colombian but they had 2 Kiwi baristas last visit (and I rate coffee quality in Wellington and some in Auckland above Melbourne) they roast beans on site and I've stayed over night at one of their source plantations in the Colombian Andes. Cartagena and Medellin being the best places in South America for a proper coffee.

WCMO nbn is still down after almost 17 hours.

for a decent coffee

✅A key criteria. Quality should match the price.

I shudder at memories of that beverage - a bitter burnt thick black sludge made many hours before and despite being in a thermos is almost stone cold that many places in the US serve up as "coffee"

Surfer Flyfrequently is a Barista and tells me that coffee prices are often dictated by the coffee roaster companies ie "you can't sell my coffee for less than $5 (or whatever) per cup"

Surfer Flyfrequently is a Barista and tells me that coffee prices are often dictated by the coffee roaster companies ie "you can't sell my coffee for less than $5 (or whatever) per cup"

IIRC that is illegal in AU. No supplier can dictate a retail price under federal trade practices act. ACCC has taken people to court over it.

IIRC that is illegal in AU. No supplier can dictate a retail price under federal trade practices act. ACCC has taken people to court over it.
I would have thought so too, must have the discussion with her @p--and--t
She's in the throes of setting up a new coffee corner and when determining pricing, that was the response given to her.

I once forgot in N.Europe that they would use Italian coffee discriptors and out of habit ordered a Long Black or a Short Black. The total look of horror on the face of the coffee person (they are not baristas in any sense of the term)!
Many years ago, my friend walked into Dean and DeLuca in Soho NYC (it was THE only decent coffee back then) and asked for a Long Black. I nearly died. The earth didn’t open beneath me so I crab walked out the door while a very two sided conversion ensued. “You wanna wat!”, “Black coffee…you know, one, shot but extra water….”.

Has your ISP provider acknowledged that there’s an outage?
Yes ISP acknowledged at 11pm last night, but it's an nbn issue. Their latest update says will be fixed by 5pm, but earlier said fixed by 12pm so I don't believe the nbn techs. ISP shares the nbn updates they receive.

Nbn has been rock solid for years but this is second unplanned outage in a fortnight albeit last one was only 2 hours. This significant drop in quality has to be related to the brutal cuts made 2 months ago. Not enough field techs left to proactively monitor network nor fix issues promptly.

I always lodge a fault the second there is an issue as compensation is based on duration of outage.

ETA now saying 7pm what a joke, will have been 20hrs by then.

Last edited:
More on corfee, SWMBO’s cousins from Winterpeg (Winnipeg) are hangin’ out for North American filter drip corfee. :)

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back