American Express Travel "Services"

Status
Not open for further replies.

robtemt

Since we had some travel credits with Amex, we booked a domestic segment in the USA via Amex Online, from SEA to SAN on DL. DL changed the flight to a SkyWest operated flight (no thanks), and Amex notified us via email with our updated itinerary.

I sent an email to the email address they provided on the itinerary explaining we didn't accept the change of carrier (although still operated as a Delta flight) and requested a change to another flight on the same day. We received no reply for 2 weeks. I emailed them again, and after 10 days, received an email that they don't accept emails (right, but they don't mind notifying you of changes by email).

So I called today to make the change, and the "travel agent" said since its still a Delta Flight, just operated by another carrier, there would be a $200 per ticket change fee, a $35 per ticket admin fee (Amex), plus a $49 per ticket fare difference, totalling $568.00 (the original total for the tickets was $642!). When I commented that it was a bit ridiculous, she replied "well, you're the one wanting to make the change".

Hung up, called Delta in US, the agent also claimed it would be a $200 fee plus fare difference, and I had to do it through my travel agent. When I challenged him that it was a change of carrier, he put me on hold, came back and said he could make the change to my requested flight at no charge.

I'm really disappointed in the service I got from Amex, which seems to be the trend lately (I've shared other experiences with Concierge/Lifestyle services on other threads). I've been wondering if it would be easier to book through an agent and that way if there are issues, they can sort them out for me, but this has reinforced my feeling that travel agents are a dying breed, especially one who can add any value.

I think good travel agents are a dying breed.
NO idea about the commission structure of Amex but doesnt sound like its motivating their staff to look after their customers.

I was thinking about getting the Amex Explorer Card with the travel credit equalling the anual fee. But this doesnt sound appealing at all.

AMex travel is a total joke. The staff are useless and can’t even do the basics, then they charge huge fees for using their services. Agent fees for cancelations/changes (for online bookings) just aren’t acceptable anymore.

I have to use them to burn my travel credits, but just make sure I only do it for hotel bookings that I won’t change.

Amex service overall has dropped dramatically in the last year or so

AMex travel is a total joke. The staff are useless and can’t even do the basics, then they charge huge fees for using their services. Agent fees for cancelations/changes (for online bookings) just aren’t acceptable anymore.
Same here, one disappointment after the next with their so-called 'service'. Also only use them to burn my travel credits and otherwise avoid them like the plague. Prices are usually exactly the same (or more) than booking directly with the airline anyway.

Agreed, with their business hours phone number and overseas call centre who don't understand simple requests.

I can't recommend their 'service' to anyone.

If you get a card and just want to use the credit, it's simple and painless and works, generally. No way i'd use a company like this as a ta for any other reason though.

I find it much easier to book direct with the airline instead of going through Amex travel. I try to use the travel credit I get on flights where I will not change or cancel.

Can you book say flex fares with the Amex Travel Credits? I want to book a VA flight using my travel credit but don’t want the cheapest fare.
I can’t figure out how to make the Amex Travel site show me the next fare up (which is listed on VA’s site).

Must agree with the general sentiment above. I only use amex travel to use up the travel credit. For all other travel I see my trusty TA, or do it myself......

I was having issues booking a USA domestic flight on AA - I could not get it to accept my QFF number ("Please enter a valid number" over and over again). Went to amex who did it seamlessly first time, same price.

Had only tried it to use up my travel credit, but didn't realise you only have one go at it - so didn't use it for this one was it was only like $250.

No complaints here :)

I think what you've seen here is Amex make an error by accepting the change before asking you. You can make FOC changes for a schedule change, but only before the ticket has been reissued/revalidated. Once that has been done, then you're up for the change fees to make any other amendments.

The process should be to ask the traveller first if that change is acceptable, then reissue. DL do soooooooo many schedule changes it isn't funny, so your flight will probably change again before you travel anyway!

I was having issues booking a USA domestic flight on AA - I could not get it to accept my QFF number ("Please enter a valid number" over and over again). Went to amex who did it seamlessly first time, same price.

Had only tried it to use up my travel credit, but didn't realise you only have one go at it - so didn't use it for this one was it was only like $250.

No complaints here :)

No Complaints here either... have used them for flights, train travel,Cruising, FH&R all over the world for the last 25 years...so just lucky I guess??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back