Amex "I'm going to cancel my card" - bonus points given thread.

Hi guys, I am almost at the end of my initial 12 months with the AMEX plat charge. Approved 6 August 2023. 1st Statement 1st September 23.

What is the best date / time to call up and threaten to cancel and request bonus point retention offer?

thanks

QBR Amex, 2 year renewal is coming up. Guy tried to tell me about the benefits of the card 😂
He offered 50k, I asked for more but that was all he could give.

QBR Amex, 2 year renewal is coming up. Guy tried to tell me about the benefits of the card 😂
That's a pretty good outcome for a non-charge and a business card.

That's a pretty good outcome for a non-charge and a business card.
The QBR is a charge card:

Charge Card:
No pre-set spending limit3
3. No pre-set spending limit does not mean unlimited spending. Your purchases are approved based on a variety of factors, including current spending patterns, your payment history, credit records, and financial resources known to us.

Also noticed this (must have missed the memo about the change):
After a total of 500,000 Qantas Points is earned in a calendar year, the everyday business earn rate will change from 1.25 to 0.75 Qantas Points per $1 spent.17

The QBR is a charge card:

Charge Card:
No pre-set spending limit3
3. No pre-set spending limit does not mean unlimited spending. Your purchases are approved based on a variety of factors, including current spending patterns, your payment history, credit records, and financial resources known to us.

Also noticed this (must have missed the memo about the change):
After a total of 500,000 Qantas Points is earned in a calendar year, the everyday business earn rate will change from 1.25 to 0.75 Qantas Points per $1 spent.17
Ah that makes more sense then. So the no love streak for the credit cards continues.

Ah. Computer was a ‘He’ and not a ‘She’. So, the ‘He’ computer said ‘Yes’. 👌

Mmm, does phoning up have better outcomes than chat? No offer when I said I’d be canceling, and to go ahead and do it whilst chatting online. I was put through to a different agent to process it, but no offers.
I'd almost 100% say you gotta phone up and talk to a person with regards to this type of thing.

The more friction you're willing to go through the better the outcome imho.

I can't know for certain but I expect chat agents have the lowest levels of permissions with regards to actions they can take - and have very well defined SOPs for what to do, whilst say an agent on the phone in the platinum call centre will have far more scope in what they can and cannot do.

Just pickup the phone - it's only a few mins of your time :)

Hi was wondering is it possible to get your second year benefits and use some of them in the first month and then cancel the card to get the annual fee refunded?

Was also wondering If you used to the accor plus free night and made a booking and then cancelled the amex plat would you still get the accor plus free night booking honoured?

Hi was wondering is it possible to get your second year benefits and use some of them in the first month and then cancel the card to get the annual fee refunded?

Was also wondering If you used to the accor plus free night and made a booking and then cancelled the amex plat would you still get the accor plus free night booking honoured?
Called up AMEX. They confirmed that if I use any of the second year benefits like travel credit or accor FN I will be liable for the 2nd year annual fee. No retention offer was offered.

Ive had very low spend on the card recently. As card approval date was 5 August 2023 they confirmed that I have until end of the month to cancel for no fee.

Called up AMEX. They confirmed that if I use any of the second year benefits like travel credit or accor FN I will be liable for the 2nd year annual fee. No retention offer was offered.

Ive had very low spend on the card recently. As card approval date was 5 August 2023 they confirmed that I have until end of the month to cancel for no fee.
I cancelled my amex platinum 2023 Nov after AF posted (and got the AF refunded). By that time, my Accor Plus membership renewed for another year and with it, the free night. I thought when I go onto cancel Amex Plat that Accor Plus membership will also automatically cancel but it didn't and I am still able enjoy the benefits, including the free night (which I have redeemed).

Alas, this wasn't the case with PP and that membership ended as soon as the card was cancelled.

I took it. Was told it would take a few business days to appear.
Interestingly it comes up in my online activity as "Once Only Valued Customer Loyalty Bonus"

Anyone else with a similar description? Or says something else totally different?

Called up with plat charge. Would only let me downgrade to gold or green.

They called my bluff! I got a retention bonus last year plus I am on a discounted rate
Did you cancel?

I had the same outcome 2 weeks ago. I was going to try and call again tomorrow for one more go.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back