AmEx requiring certified copies of driver's licence or passport of supplementary card members now?

foggy

Anyone else receive something similar? or am I the only lucky one? Seems like they are pushing hard to get rid of me as a customer.Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 10.05.42 pm.png

Please make sure that despite the great looks of the email it is certain not to be a fraud!!!

I have had recently flouting emails offering even Qantas credit wait... Because I deserve it. All I had to do was supply some details. To - Make sure they had the right sucker!

Unless it is real snail mail and occasionally AmEx updates data to reflect properly and make it easier to use their booking engine.

Amex has had the requirement for certified copies of identification documents for some types of card applications for a while. But I have not been asked for this for credit card account supplementation cards in the past. I have never had an Amex charge card with supplementary cards attached so cannot comment about that scenario.

I did have to provide certified copy of drivers license last November (2023) for an Amex Green Corporate Card application, and I already hold an Amex Platinum Edge credit card and been an Amex member for 30 years, which details were required to be provided in the application process.

I applied for a supp card on the weekend and they just wanted DL numbers and card on the way. Was this message in your actual account tor just an email?

It could be phishing, but it could be genuine. If the latter, it's not AMEX being annoying, but rather it needing to fulfil its regulatory obligations around KYC (Know Your Customer).

I was supposed to provide such detail for a supp card for my Father in law. He didn't want to play along as he's a huge conspiracy theorist when it comes to his personal details so I didn't bother proceeding. I didn't have that issue when doing the same thing for a previous card though, or recently for my own parents as supps for my current card.

Reads a lot like a phishing email to me. I'd call them before doing anything. "We are requesting documentation from you" ?? AMEX would not use that terminology. IMHO

Maybe that explains why they are now changing the verification requirements for supplementary cards??
Nothing has changed.

There have always been periodic requests for verified ID.
Post automatically merged:

Anyone else receive something similar? or am I the only lucky one? Seems like they are pushing hard to get rid of me as a customer.View attachment 369092
The income verification is a request I haven't previously seen. And problematic, as income would be expected to change.

I had this a while ago. And they called me NON STOP for weeks about it. We were in the middle of moving house and I just couldn't get my act together enough so I asked them to cancel the request. That didn't stop the near daily harrassment! Like they even called my work number.

At that stage I cancelled my card in a fit of rage (along with everyone else who annoyed me during that stressful period!). So I'm now sitting out the 18 months waiting for the sweet, sweet sign on bonus.

tl;dr - is probably real. But as usual, go direct through your app or internet banking or *gasp* call them like it's 1980.

I applied for a new Supp on my charge card a couple of weeks ago and it was approved online with drivers license details. Arrived about 5 days later.

I applied for a supp card on the weekend and they just wanted DL numbers and card on the way. Was this message in your actual account tor just an email?
Same recently, they asked for DL over the phone and when it verified it was an immediate OK. No need to certify anything.

Interesting that the additional card online application, does ask for a Driver Licence number (optional). However, I'm not sure how Amex can "verify" it as they do not ask for permission to run a verification check such as Green ID etc....

Back