Any likelihood of QF returning to Frankfurt?

RSD

Established Member
Given that Qantas has been flying into Rome and Paris lately, can anyone see them returning to Frankfurt?

Given that Qantas has been flying into Rome and Paris lately, can anyone see them returning to Frankfurt?
Good question. There was speculation pre Covid of an entrance to BER but crickets since.

QF knows their market and European expansion has concentrated on premium leisure outbound traffic, which isn’t FRA…or anywhere in Germany really. Id expect ATH or even MAD would be next.

Good question. There was speculation pre Covid of an entrance to BER but crickets since.
They were talking about BER because Air Berlin was still around and had become a member of oneworld.
That idea died when Air Berlin did

FRA was the last continental European port QF flew to until 2013. Presumably replaced by the EK codeshares.

No doubt QF are tracking those EK codeshares and will put QF metal on when/where it makes sense.

ATH has been mentioned recently. I wouldn’t be surprised if a German port is in the short list.

MAD - not so sure but at least it’s a OW hub.

They were talking about BER because Air Berlin was still around and had become a member of oneworld.
That idea died when Air Berlin did
There was/is also the issue that the ME are restricted with slots into BER. So QF getting something in via DXB could have been advantageous. A bit mute now also.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

FRA was the last continental European port QF flew to until 2013. Presumably replaced by the EK codeshares.
No doubt QF are tracking those EK codeshares and will put QF metal on when/where it makes sense.
ATH has been mentioned recently. I wouldn’t be surprised if a German port is in the short list.
MAD - not so sure but at least it’s a OW hub.

There was/is also the issue that the ME are restricted with slots into BER. So QF getting something in via DXB could have been advantageous. A bit mute now also.
People may fly a QF marketed EK operated flight (codeshare) to EU or wherever. But next time they are just as likley to purchase direct from EK. So nil $$ to QF. Now of several people who have done that. They did not see the value in EK codeshare. More so QF now that does not fly to DXB with QF aircraft.

ATH would be a low value passenger. Not many paying top $$$ for business class.

To me would like to see ORD and the next QF destination.
But need to get more reliable wide body aircraft that can fly a route at least 5 days a week and preferably 7 days a week.

People may fly a QF marketed EK operated flight (codeshare) to EU or wherever. But next time they are just as likley to purchase direct from EK. So nil $$ to QF. Now of several people who have done that. They did not see the value in EK codeshare. More so QF now that does not fly to DXB with QF aircraft.
Depends if you’re after QF SCs and bonus FF points etc. They’re priced much the same (actually, I often see QF codeshare cheaper than QF metal).
To me would like to see ORD and the next QF destination.
Yes, that and/or SEA.

But OP was probably more interested in the next Euro destination (if any).
But need to get more reliable wide body aircraft that can fly a route at least 5 days a week and preferably 7 days a week.
They definitely need more planes…the remaining A380s coming back online will help a little but A350s are desperately needed now.

A lot of airlines (to be fair budget ones) are pulling out of Germany due to increased taxes on fights, I think it's somehow unlikely.

I would be happy for round-the-year flights to CDG or AMS. BER would be great due to how central it is.

I think the real 200IQ move would be flights to a new central european hub like Prague, but would never expect Qantas to do anything that logical.

But OP was probably more interested in the next Euro destination (if any).
Yes - could be a reasonable number of trips to Germany thanks to a new project - some place roughly half way between Stuttgart and Munich apparently.

Yes - could be a reasonable number of trips to Germany thanks to a new project - some place roughly half way between Stuttgart and Munich apparently.
So lobby QF to launch MUC! 😀

As an aside, I’m flying to MUC in Dec on QR. about A$3.5k in J ex CGK. QF to/from CGK on points - all up less than $4k plus points.

So lobby QF to launch MUC! 😀

As an aside, I’m flying to MUC in Dec on QR. about A$3.5k in J ex CGK. QF to/from CGK on points - all up less than $4k plus points.
The CGK route is great! Did that to Spain earlier this year. Spent a night in Jakarta just to smooth things out, some decent 5 star hotels on Amex FHR/Virtuoso to relax in even though that city isn't amazing.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back