Nice wines I have drunk recently - Red or White

I purchased this some years ago when a deal came up right here on AFF. I'm not sure how much I paid but it would not have been a lot. Anyway, I found the wine to be very drinkable, soft and smooth with subtle tannins. +1 and I actually finished the bottle without realising it.

IMG20241005214905.jpg

I purchased this some years ago when a deal came up right here on AFF. I'm not sure how much I paid but it would not have been a lot. Anyway, I found the wine to be very drinkable, soft and smooth with subtle tannins. +1 and I actually finished the bottle without realising it.

View attachment 410173
Thanks for the insight. That might have been the Dan Murphy "click and collect deal". I might have to crack one of those myself.

Came across an interesting article about wine pairing. I must say I agree. Did it once and never again.

Article is paywalled. What's the gist of it? That the paired wines are usually don't cost much but you're paying a hefty price premium?

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Article is paywalled. What's the gist of it? That the paired wines are usually don't cost much but you're paying a hefty price premium?
It was so good,’ a friend tells me, of a recent meal out. ‘I want to go back and have it with the wine pairing.’

He will not be going with me. After years of patient study, I have come to the conclusion that ‘the wine pairing’ is one of
the great restaurant scams, a ruse engineered to con unwitting diners out of paying for the meal twice over.

<redacted>

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve had some decent wine pairing options in the past but they do all seem to be overpriced and very stingy pours* these days. It’s not too hard to work out from the wine list whether the pairing or a bottle is better value.

Although, I do enjoy being able to mix and match white and reds with courses but usually just get a bottle of something (red) and maybe a glass of white for starters.

*depending on the number of courses/drinks you’d expect at least half a glass but often it’s two mouthfuls!

I'm a bit of a sucker for a wine pairing. I like trying things I wouldn't usually and it's rare that you can buy anything out of the ordinary by the glass. Having a reasonable tolerance helps one appreciate the later offerings.
Extracting maximum value may be an AFF maxim but variety is also important to me.

At a nice restaurant near me, they do 75mL pairings for the matched wines with their multi-course meal. If you are the designated driver it is a great option as you remain under the limit whilst enjoying a selection of wines.

My wife and I enjoyed the Dier Makr degustation in Hobart a few months ago. One matched wine between two of us was right on the money. There were a couple of sakes instead of wine and a fruit wine for dessert. Was great to try some things we never normally would have. I don’t recall the price but it was cheaper than a bottle to share…

Has anyone purchased from Naked wines?

Webjet has given me $100 voucher and mixed dozen is $212.99 discounted to $179.99 so 12 wines for $79.99 + I guess delivery.

I don't drink wine but want to take some to Thailand for New Years Eve and later for Songkran and give some to mum as she loves to add to roast beef in oven or when cooking roast beef for spaghetti.

It may be easier to purchase cheap wine from BWS/Liquorland when Cashrewards has 25% cashback or Woolworths/Flybuys have promotions. I'm not concerned about quality especially for Thailand.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back