Any likelihood of QF returning to Frankfurt?

Just had a quick look at that article - interesting, but without numbers flying SYD-DXB-LHR compared to SYD-SIN-LHR we really have nothing definitive to compare. For those transiting onto somewhere other than LHR then presumably Qantas would make more money carrying them as far as DXB vs carrying them as far as SIN.
Post automatically merged:

Did AJ ever use data to justify the decisions that have left Qantas in the mess that it currently is?

I gather, presumably, Qantas actually has the data to know where they make the most money with their assets.

Did he use data to select Dubai originally?

I go back to my earlier point. Qantas is pretty much profit driven. They ain't dropping Dubai to go back to Singapore to make less money. I'd argue despite their service and PR issues, they are still making money. Chasing the dollar was never AJ's issue. So I'm unsure why you'd logically think QF would dump a route to make less money on another route.

Just had a look to see what options the QF website offer - as you would expect MEL-SIN-LHR-FRA was about the first four offerings, then MEL-DXB-FRA, then some weird ones like MEL-DXB-Istanbul all on EK then a Turkish flight to Frankfurt. Then came MEL-SIN-Helsinki-FRA then MEL-SIN-LHR-Zagreb-FRA! MEL_DXB-FRA on EK metal with QF flight numbers for the win!

Just had a look to see what options the QF website offer - as you would expect MEL-SIN-LHR-FRA was about the first four offerings, then MEL-DXB-FRA, then some weird ones like MEL-DXB-Istanbul all on EK then a Turkish flight to Frankfurt. Then came MEL-SIN-Helsinki-FRA then MEL-SIN-LHR-Zagreb-FRA! MEL_DXB-FRA on EK metal with QF flight numbers for the win!

And yes the website is doing some weird things causing some double posts.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Just had a quick look at that article - interesting, but without numbers flying SYD-DXB-LHR compared to SYD-SIN-LHR we really have nothing definitive to compare. For those transiting onto somewhere other than LHR then presumably Qantas would make more money carrying them as far as DXB vs carrying them as far as SIN.

Did AJ ever use data to justify the decisions that have left Qantas in the mess that it currently is?

It was common knowledge that the DXB route was unpopular. Just read any news article at the time.

Or many of us here who lived through it still remember, it wasn’t that long ago. Also remember that only SYD & MEL had QF metal. Now it’s also BNE & PER, and soon DRW with international departures via SIN. Plus the codeshares with AF, KL and AY.

I still know plenty of people who have zero interest in going via the ME on any airline and won’t even give them a chance.

It’s our preferred way to get to Europe and even looking at next years trip to the US/Caribbean we will probably go via the ME

We still get strange looks when we tell friends we are just popping over the UAE or Qatar for a week or so break like we have done many times.

Different strokes for different folks I guess

It’s our preferred way to get to Europe and even looking at next years trip to the US/Caribbean we will probably go via the ME

Different strokes for different folks I guess
Indeed. Going to FRA via DXB will be a no brainer for me (unless there is a DSC offer at the time of booking). When going to CAI I wouldn't even go via Europe if there was a DSC - probably wouldn't even consider going via JHB either to CAI even if there was a DSC offer.

Indeed. Going to FRA via DXB will be a no brainer for me (unless there is a DSC offer at the time of booking). When going to CAI I wouldn't even go via Europe if there was a DSC - probably wouldn't even consider going via JHB either to CAI even if there was a DSC offer.
Yeah we have flown into FRA a few times and find it a pretty convenient port for what we need. Have flown one stop ex Australia on the big 3 ME airlines over the years and have also tried the 2 stop strategy with the ME3 via Asia and all good flights.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back