Brisbane Premium Lounge Entry

ferntree

Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Platinum
This morning I discovered serious change in this, due to building renovations.

Instead of a staffed dedicated entrance leading to a dedicated security check it seems we now have a supposedly dedicated lane (marked Premium Lounge entry) in the general security area. This lane was unstaffed and unchecked (at 8:00 am) this morning. Pax were just piling into it, creating an enormous tail back.

Anybody know what's going on?

Last edited:
Part of the newer enhanced changes. claytons priority security clearance.

I received this travel info in advance of a flight booking:

From 1 October 2024, Brisbane Domestic Airport will be undergoing construction to upgrade the check-in and security screening areas.

Virgin Australia security screening will be temporarily moved to the Valet area located next to the Virgin Australia Premium Entry (south-side of the Terminal).

I received this travel info in advance of a flight booking:

From 1 October 2024, Brisbane Domestic Airport will be undergoing construction to upgrade the check-in and security screening areas.

Virgin Australia security screening will be temporarily moved to the Valet area located next to the Virgin Australia Premium Entry (south-side of the Terminal).

Thanks for the info.

I understand the need for temporary arrangements during construction work, my issue is with the fact that the so-called premium entry lane isn't being policed and is thus almost meaningless.

I used this on Monday. Was confused at first with the lack of staff etc but got through really quickly.
The BNE lounge on the other hand was an absolute zoo and the place was filthy. Not the staff fault who were trying their best, just seems to be way over capacity.

During the really peak times they've had someone outside monitoring the queue but put simply there isn't much option given that Premium Entry is now behind security in the temporary setup.

Using an apple maps made some mark ups for those who don't visit Brisbane often. Effectively everyone after check in everyone exits the terminal and heads outside to the new temporary tent. The general queue snakes around in that grey area whilst there is a marked premium queue wraps around the outside area. Once through security everyone passes by the premium entry door those going into the normal terminal take the stairs/escalator up what used to be the old exit near the VA lounge.

Premium entry is really pointless right now given you walk into the area scan your boarding pass, walk past the now covered screening equipment and up into the lounge. It probably saves 30 seconds if that when you could just go up with everyone else turn right and enter the lounge at the main entrance.
Screenshot 2024-10-24 at 6.17.42 PM.png

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

During the really peak times they've had someone outside monitoring the queue but put simply there isn't much option given that Premium Entry is now behind security in the temporary setup.

Using an apple maps made some mark ups for those who don't visit Brisbane often. Effectively everyone after check in everyone exits the terminal and heads outside to the new temporary tent. The general queue snakes around in that grey area whilst there is a marked premium queue wraps around the outside area. Once through security everyone passes by the premium entry door those going into the normal terminal take the stairs/escalator up what used to be the old exit near the VA lounge.

Premium entry is really pointless right now given you walk into the area scan your boarding pass, walk past the now covered screening equipment and up into the lounge. It probably saves 30 seconds if that when you could just go up with everyone else turn right and enter the lounge at the main entrance.
View attachment 413162

Really informative, thanks for posting.

Does anyone have an estimate as to how long this state of affairs is expected to continue?

Does anyone have an estimate as to how long this state of affairs is expected to continue?
Q4 2025. Expect the temporary setup for at least another year.

First step is removing the old VA screening point (which is underway), then the check in desks will expand into that space with self services baggage drop replacing the existing desks with a new escalator built to upstairs level. In the future there won't be any "VA dedicated" checkpoint like there previously was next to their desks, instead everyone will go upstairs to a new central check point.

The next stage which is about to happen is removal of the JQ bag drop and a new temporary JQ setup down near the QF check in area.

Ah well, it should at least be a character building experience for those of us who pass through regularly. :(
Personally I think they should close the premium entry and make everyone enter through the main lounge door. Instead the VA staff who'd normally run the premium entry instead run the premium queue during that morning peak (or all day).

The central security will close shortly so expect longer queues at the QF checkpoint as well. That being said both check points will have more lanes open to mitigate the loss of the 4 lanes at the central checkpoint.

Personally I think they should close the premium entry and make everyone enter through the main lounge door. Instead the VA staff who'd normally run the premium entry instead run the premium queue during that morning peak (or all day).

I'd have no problem with the premium entry being closed as long as a premium security lane was maintained and staffed.

I was surprised to find this set up last Monday a bit after lunch. Found the Virgin priority queue and a guy at the end directed me to the nearby x-ray which was the least crowded.

Ah well, it should at least be a character building experience for those of us who pass through regularly. :(
The whole entry & processing at the Airport is being rebuilt in preparation for the Olympics. There will be a lot of character building over the next five or so years. 😊

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back