Cash or Card? Countries where you still need cash.

In Frankfurt today.
2 small coffee shops - cash only
Then 50m away - card only
Go 300Euro out from a Santander cash machine in their bank, using Macquarie debit. No warning about a fee or anything else
Just spat out the money.
0.47% off the XE spot rate - I'll take that

Updating last year’s experience in Japan:
This year, we were mainly in the Kyushu region, and were often met with the Cash Only requirement in a range of settings.
Not an issue, as we were prepared for that but it certainly flies in the face of all the assertions that travellers no longer need cash. 😀

I always feel like I am doing it the old fashioned way when I place an order with Travelex and then go and pick up multiple currencies.

However for markets and general day to day expenses cash is so much easier overseas.

For my longer EU trips, I've had to complete the online form for leaving AU with more then $10K... I feel strange doing it, but I usually return with less than $1,000....

I always feel like I am doing it the old fashioned way when I place an order with Travelex and then go and pick up multiple currencies.
Travellers Cheques was the “old fashion way”! Can you even get them now? I can imagine they’d be hard to cash theses days AND you’re getting a cough exchange rate.
However for markets and general day to day expenses cash is so much easier overseas.
I prefer to “tap” everything I possibly can. Less cash to get and carry the better (but I’ll usually have some as a backup).
For my longer EU trips, I've had to complete the online form for leaving AU with more then $10K... I feel strange doing it, but I usually return with less than $1,000....
As cash? 😳

I would feel really uncomfortable carrying wads of money OS. Plus, you’re still getting a cough exchange rate.

Last Christmas in Tallinn and Helsinki at the markets card/contactless acceptance was universal. Even the €2 reuseable cup deposit/refund stall was set up to refund with a tap of your card/phone, unless you asked them to do cash for you. We actually didn't handle any cash in those two countries and it was fantastic. Bring large amounts of cash with me and even having to declare it does not sound easier to me 🤔

Travellers Cheques was the “old fashion way”! Can you even get them now? I can imagine they’d be hard to cash theses days AND you’re getting a cough exchange rate.

I prefer to “tap” everything I possibly can. Less cash to get and carry the better (but I’ll usually have some as a backup).

As cash? 😳

I would feel really uncomfortable carrying wads of money OS. Plus, you’re still getting a cough exchange rate.

Hahah I grew up with Mum and Dad using travelers cheques :D

Yes that amount of cash does worry me at times I sleep with it next to me on the plane and the start of the trip is a bit of a hassle. Generally use the hotel safety deposit boxes where they have them..

The rate is not that bad when ordering online for Travelex, $5,024AU is €3,000 and wise is would give €3,084. So I'm losing about 150EU over the trip. However Amex use would be far worse with 3% and disgusting rates while converting...

Cash saves me looking for an ATM while in regional parts of France and then paying the $2.50 or whatever fee is there.

The kids have skiing lessons for up to a month at a time, and they get 20EU per kid per day for lunch/snacks and buying their instructor a drink. That alone is 500EU.. then we have a few baby sitters and that is another 500EU... Yes there is an ATM or two around but I like to go with the cash

I've had cards hacked while overseas and getting a replacement is not easy
I've had cards taken by the ATM before as well

I take cash, 3 credit cards, 3 ATM cards and then everything available to be used on my Google wallet as well.
Post automatically merged:

Last Christmas in Tallinn and Helsinki at the markets card/contactless acceptance was universal. Even the €2 reuseable cup deposit/refund stall was set up to refund with a tap of your card/phone, unless you asked them to do cash for you. We actually didn't handle any cash in those two countries and it was fantastic. Bring large amounts of cash with me and even having to declare it does not sound easier to me 🤔

Yeah xmas markets have heaps of tap and go

Not saying cash is easier, but it's still required and it's a backup for me

Online cash declaration for over $10K AUD takes about 2 minutes online, was only asked once when leaving why I had so much cash, and that was prior to the smart gates at MEL

Back