Cash or Card? Countries where you still need cash.

Our trip to Japan this year was a marked difference to the last one pre covid. The acceptance of cards was WAY higher than it was and I could even use my Amex in a bunch of places.

Travelling out into rural nowhere like Niigata and Yamagata, it was still more old school and cash based but once again, a significant uptick in places that take card. I always had about 5万円 on me, but I only needed to withdraw cash from the 711 like, twice the whole trip.

We used a Wise card for cash withdrawals which wasn’t too bad, better than the forex places and using the card for payments rather than cash worked out better given the rates and no withdrawal charge.

I also used my Airwallex card for business expenses there but ended up closing that account this month when they brought in stupid plans. Don’t put enough through them a month to get the fee waived.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back