Changes to Velocity reward seat pricing from 21 January 2025

AFF Editor

Established Member
Editor
At the suggestion of @elanshin, this thread is specifically for discussing the changes to Velocity reward seat pricing that were announced this week as part of the broader program changes.

Yesterday, Velocity decreased the minimum points required on some domestic Economy redemptions. But on 21 January 2025, the maximum points required for these redemptions will go up. The points needed for some international partner airline redemptions will also go up.

Velocity is also splitting off its reward charts into separate charts for:
  • VA domestic
  • VA international
  • United & Virgin Atlantic
  • Singapore Airlines, Etihad & Qatar Airways
  • All other partner airlines (Hawaiian, South African Airways, ANA and Air Canada)

You can read our article on this topic here:

The new reward charts are available on the Velocity website:

Thanks,

I was just trying to find the new charts again and it was a bit all over that thread.

What I’m very keen to discover is what will happen if/when VA starts flying to Doha. Remember that these flights will be VA international flights even though they’ll be on wet-leased aircraft.

Obviously the vast majority of the people flying VA to Doha will then be flying on Qatar to other destinations. But as things stand, VA and Qatar are on different points tables.

That means that people using Velocity points on the VA flights to Doha will then have to book a second sector under a different rewards table, with the commensurate increase in the number of points required.

Will VA and Qatar eventually be on the same points table? Makes no sense to me if they’re not.

I guess also from one angle, if you earn more points from flying than on the ground this is a double whammy. You earn less and it costs more. So its a much bigger devaluation than the ~10% increase in costs.

I guess also from one angle, if you earn more points from flying than on the ground this is a double whammy. You earn less and it costs more. So its a much bigger devaluation than the ~10% increase in costs.
It makes sense when you consider the move to a revenue-based frequent flyer scheme. One of the key attributes of such a scheme is that earn from spend on the ground eclipses earn from time in the air.

While devaluations are always unwelcome, this is one of the smaller devaluations we've seen in the industry. The most disappointing part in my opinion is that Velocity already has very high partner redemption carrier charges, and they are going up even higher with Singapore redemptions.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back