CI A350 + Cathay A330 vs JAL 787-8 J

It's also sinking and could be completely submerged in the future.

You are correct!

The construction of the artificial airport presents a complex engineering challenge due to its location on soft clay, which is settling and compacting at a faster and uneven rate than initially anticipated. The airport was expected to settle uniformly over five decades, stabilising at the height of thirteen feet above sea level to prevent flooding. However, it reached this critical point in just six years, leading to extensive remediation work costing hundreds of millions, reinforcing the seawall to protect the structure from submergence.

The uneven settling has resulted in the need for remediation and reinforcement of specific sections of the airport. Additionally, despite being designed to withstand seismic and weather events, the unforeseen settling poses a threat to its structural integrity.

The uncertain settling pattern raises concerns about whether the airport will eventually conform to the original design specifications, partially sink, or submerge entirely. As always this highlights the necessity for comprehensive risk management when constructing infrastructure underwater and underground.

The potential challenges ahead have implications for investors, operators, underwriters, and the city, which may need to consider alternative plans. Developing such infrastructure takes decades, and the airport's future presents significant considerations for all involved.

As a visitor, understanding these challenges will provide insight and appreciation for the complexities surrounding the airport's development.
When I land there, I will know and appreciate the airport's future challenges!

@Ansett Nostalgic

That's an interesting comment that I need to investigate more thoroughly. What is it about CI that is superior to CX? I am looking at t a few trips for early next year so it's a timely discussion, thanks
I havent flown either but btu can only go by what friends have said. I also have a flight with CI next week in J on the 777

but from what I can see CI has a great hard product with great cabin mood lighting, dining options that have michelin stars / renowned restaurants, vintage champagne, great wine, Johnnie Walker Blue Label and a little onboard bar/ galley

I can report back after in 2 weeks

friends just recently flew from MEL - TPE (4 Oct 2024) they were offered 'The House' lounge in Melbourne
I wonder if lounge access is hit and miss or dependant on which ever lounge the check-in direct you to. In June 2023 I was directed to the Marhaba lounge but tempted fate and was let into the QF F lounge. Another AFFer (@ShelleyB) who is doing a TR at the moment mentioned (posted on 25 Sep 24) that they were directed to the Marhaba lounge, in the same TR @rbjhan responded stating the House lounge was the offered when travelling in May 24.

I wonder if lounge access is hit and miss or dependant on which ever lounge the check-in direct you to. In June 2023 I was directed to the Marhaba lounge but tempted fate and was let into the QF F lounge. Another AFFer (@ShelleyB) who is doing a TR at the moment mentioned (posted on 25 Sep 24) that they were directed to the Marhaba lounge, in the same TR @rbjhan responded stating the House lounge was the offered when travelling in May 24.

Okay let me clarify, when I travelled in May 24, I was told both The House and Marhaba were available. I went to The House because hey that's an obvious choice!

@rbjhan did you check in at MEL as this may un pick a few things. For my trip, it was QF rewards on a CI flight number. I had started in ADL and had the CI boarding pass on QF paper upon arriving at the QF F lounge in MEL initially they were not sure if I should be allowed access but when they check and saw I was on a 081-x ticket they let me in. I only when to the Marhaba Lounge for a look as it was next door. If I had checked in at MEL and was given the option of either The House or Marhaba I know which one I would have chosen.

The Marhaba Lounge is the old EK lounge and when it was EK it was much nicer.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Late for the discussion. I am however familiar with all 3... that is to say personally I don't like the JAL Apex Suites, but if you are tall it can be more comfortable than the reserve herringbones.

I am flying MEL-TPE-NRT with CI & CX next year - note that CX change aircraft on its Taiwan - Japan routes regularly. You can get those terrible regional J seats.....and no way to know until it's too late.

@rbjhan did you check in at MEL as this may un pick a few things. For my trip, it was QF rewards on a CI flight number. I had started in ADL and had the CI boarding pass on QF paper upon arriving at the QF F lounge in MEL initially they were not sure if I should be allowed access but when they check and saw I was on a 081-x ticket they let me in. I only when to the Marhaba Lounge for a look as it was next door. If I had checked in at MEL and was given the option of either The House or Marhaba I know which one I would have chosen.

The Marhaba Lounge is the old EK lounge and when it was EK it was much nicer.

Yes I am based in MEL.

CI and JL were both exclusively Marhaba for quite some time, I am sadly very familiar with it. 😢However it is still better than the QF dungeon for those of us can't get into the Flounge.

The House seems to be a new thing for CI, I don't know when it started.
Only thing I find is Points Hack mentioned it (but that's around the same time as me).

To clarify I was travelling CI on points. However, as far as I could see all J passengers were being directed to the Marhaba lounge. For example I happened to see a work colleague in the queue who was meant to have been on a CX flight earlier that day but which was cancelled, and a number of passengers from that flight were accommodated on the CI flight, and he too was directed to the Marhaba lounge.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back