Cover for changing jobs?

cbert

Last month I booked three flights for April and June 2025 with Thai airways that are non-refundable.

I got the leave approved by my current employer but about to apply for a new job and if I take the job, I am thinking be unlikely to get leave approved.

Is there a travel insurance I can buy that covers me for a possible change in employment?

I bought tickets on AMEX so got AMEX insurance which I am pretty sure doesn't cover this.

I won't know outcome of my application till maybe Dec/Jan.

Even if there is a policy that has such cover (which I doubt), the fact that you know about the possible change in employment before you take the policy would mean that you are not covered IME as it is a known event.

My advice is to advise the new employer of the situation and ask whether you would be allowed leave. If not, you need to weight up the benefit(s) of the new job against what you will loose if you cancel the flights.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Pay yourself $2,000, and if you have to cancel, you’ll be perfectly positioned to pay yourself the $8,000 or so the ticket cost.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back