Sydney lounge - I’m upset

leon_rex

Hey guys,

I have a full fare J ticket booked SYD-BNE-DRW this morning. Left Sydney 0700 and currently in BNE.

I live 100km from the airport and I got a flat tyre driving in today & missed check in. My fault, absolutely.

I finally get to Mascot and park up, and figure it would be quicker to go to the Lounge than the Service Desk and get help there. So I brave security and rock up at the Lounge at c. 6.33am.

I show the lady at the Lounge my ID and apologise and ask if she can check me in as I have no checked luggage. She says no, the aircraft is almost fully boarded (they started early) and I need to go back out through security and to the Service Desk.

After being helped by a couple of wonderful ladies out there they call the gate, send me through security again and I get to the AC at 6.49am. Sixteen minutes of stress, a run to Gate 45 and p*ing off everyone in line ahead of me. The ladies asked why the woman in the Lounge didn’t help me. I checked at BNE and they told me she absolutely could have checked me in without my having to go back outside.

Also, I was very polite and apologetic at the Sydney Lounge but the lady there was totally dismissive and didn’t want to know me at all.

I’m reaching out to any Virgin experts to find out whether this is normal service. I had to have a glass of bubbles on board to calm down.

I have a full fare J ticket booked SYD-BNE-DRW this morning. Left Sydney 0700 and currently in BNE.

I live 100km from the airport and I got a flat tyre driving in today & missed check in. My fault, absolutely.

I finally get to Mascot and park up, and figure it would be quicker to go to the Lounge than the Service Desk and get help there. So I brave security and rock up at the Lounge at c. 6.33am.
I feel for you having to run around like that and the Staff member who would not assist you should be counselled.

However, did you attempt to perform on-line check in?

Since you had no baggage to check and assuming you have a smart phone, that would have been appropriate as soon as you realised you have a flat tyre.

You can do that up to at least 45 minutes before the scheduled flight.

I didn’t, which is my fault. I always just check in at the Lounge and was on auto pilot… so to speak. Happy to wear the blame. Just think that since she wasn’t busy and had the tools at her disposal to help me that sending me out past security was lousy behaviour.

Anyway the CSM more than made up for it and I’ve changed my sweaty shirt :)

I didn’t, which is my fault. I always just check in at the Lounge and was on auto pilot… so to speak. Happy to wear the blame. Just think that since she wasn’t busy and had the tools at her disposal to help me that sending me out past security was lousy behaviour.

Anyway the CSM more than made up for it and I’ve changed my sweaty shirt :)
Some agents just don't want to be helpful whereas others are angels. Glad you made your flight.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

I think she’s playing by the book to not check you in. The system locks out the check in at T-30min and requires a manual override which seems like it’s what you got at the end.

I think what went wrong was she tried to send you back out of security and have someone else deal with you. She would have all the tools needed to charge you the late fee and rebook you to the next flight or call the gate to confirm the override and check you in like the service desk at check in did.

Would going to the gate, instead of the lounge, have been a better decision? That's what I would have tried in this situation, granted I have no idea whats the best strategy.

Last month at the bne va lounge desk...I was positioned back from the counter but the CSM asked the usual "can I help you" and I explained that I was just checking in first to which she said " oh I can do that for you" (however it was >T-30)

I feel for you having to run around like that and the Staff member who would not assist you should be counselled.

However, did you attempt to perform on-line check in?

Since you had no baggage to check and assuming you have a smart phone, that would have been appropriate as soon as you realised you have a flat tyre.

You can do that up to at least 45 minutes before the scheduled flight.

True. It is a rather odd thing to not check in via the App when you have no luggage.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back