Is QFi overextending itself?

What difference does it make if QFi overextends themselves? At the end of the day Qantas will have to pick up the plates they dropped and compensate passengers as required by Australian Consumer Law, consumer law of the countries they fly to/from (i.e. APPR in Canada or EU/UK261 in Europe), Australian law (Australia's Montreal Convention) and simple contract law. In other words, if they have to cancel or delay a flight, it's going to cost them dearly. Now whether passengers are aware of their rights is a different matter, but the law is clear here, for international service, Qantas has to commit to its times and schedules.

To the larger point about how Qantas will fix this potential issue, I suspect this is something the sands of time will fix. Specifically, Qantas has a number of wide body jets on order with most of them arriving in the 2026/2027 timeframe with 24 A350s on order and 12 787s on order for a total of 36 wide body aircraft. Whether that is sufficient, I'll leave that up to you to decide, but they are taking some steps here. Certainly the people over at Crikey seem to believe that Qantas does indeed have an aging aircraft issue on their hands.

-RooFlyer88

What difference does it make if QFi overextends themselves? At the end of the day Qantas will have to pick up the plates they dropped and compensate passengers as required by Australian Consumer Law, consumer law of the countries they fly to/from (i.e. APPR in Canada or EU/UK261 in Europe), Australian law (Australia's Montreal Convention) and simple contract law. In other words, if they have to cancel or delay a flight, it's going to cost them dearly. Now whether passengers are aware of their rights is a different matter, but the law is clear here, for international service, Qantas has to commit to its times and schedules.
They don't have to compensate cough.

This year I had a QF to Jakarta cancelled last minute, I was up all night stressing about it and figuring out what to do, and had to eventually book a last-minute Garuda flight (luckily there was one that day). While I did get a refund, I did not get any compensation for the ticket fare difference, stress caused, loss of sleep, etc.

To the larger point about how Qantas will fix this potential issue, I suspect this is something the sands of time will fix. Specifically, Qantas has a number of wide body jets on order with most of them arriving in the 2026/2027 timeframe with 24 A350s on order and 12 787s on order for a total of 36 wide body aircraft. Whether that is sufficient, I'll leave that up to you to decide, but they are taking some steps here. Certainly the people over at Crikey seem to believe that Qantas does indeed have an aging aircraft issue on their hands.

-RooFlyer88

They *might* begin to be delivered in 2027 (aircraft delivery delays everywhere now), and it will take many years until those deliveries finish (into the 2030s). Realistically, this problem isn't being solved anytime soon.

They don't have to compensate cough.

This year I had a QF to Jakarta cancelled last minute, I was up all night stressing about it and figuring out what to do, and had to eventually book a last-minute Garuda flight (luckily there was one that day). While I did get a refund, I did not get any compensation for the ticket fare difference, stress caused, loss of sleep, etc.
Never ask or accept a refund. Keep asking them to reimburse and if they refuse to do that take them to a tribunal or court. If they decide to unilaterally refund your money that doesn’t allow them to wipe their hands of their responsibility to you.
They *might* begin to be delivered in 2027 (aircraft delivery delays everywhere now), and it will take many years until those deliveries finish (into the 2030s). Realistically, this problem isn't being solved anytime soon.
Well I think a big part of the problem here is poor fleet planning on part of Qantas. They are running old birds that will require more maintenance and cost more to run as they get older. This is something Qantas could have foreseen if they had access to a multi-year calendar although I did hear Uncle Alan may have cut back on those.

-RooFlyer88

Certainly the people over at Crikey seem to believe that Qantas does indeed have an aging aircraft issue on their hands.

-RooFlyer88

I wouldn’t trust Crikey, they have (especially that author) a very anti QF attitude. It’s obvious they’re pushing an agenda from some of the more extreme unions.

As everyone knows (except for Crikey apparently) an aircraft that has gone through a D check is almost considered brand new, or at least as serviceable. Lifespan is governed by flying hours and cycles vs raw age of the aircraft and none in the QF fleet are really anywhere near those limits.

It may be difficult financially for medium sized airlines such as the international division of Qantas to justify aircraft sitting idle "just in case"

When QFi was mostly 747s arriving in places like LHR and LAX in the early morning and then departing in the late evening 16 hours later that part of the business was not making money. The switch to higher utilisation of better assets like the 787 has increased profitability in the international segment.

As everyone knows (except for Crikey apparently) an aircraft that has gone through a D check is almost considered brand new, or at least as serviceable. Lifespan is governed by flying hours and cycles vs raw age of the aircraft and none in the QF fleet are really anywhere near those limits.
I don't think anyone is questioning the safety of the aircraft, as all aircraft must go through stringent checks. I think where people are arguing we can see problems crops up is from the servicing of such aircraft. The fact of the matter is older aircraft will by definition require more lengthy checks. For instance, I haven't heard of a brand new 787 requiring a D check in its first year of service. At the same time, the ability to service and get parts for ageing aircraft, particularly those not being built anymore like the A380 can be challenging at times. I believe there is a whole thread on this very forum discussing the challenges of servicing the A380 including lengthy delays caused by refrigeration units being difficult for Qantas to source.

-RooFlyer88

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

The fact of the matter is older aircraft will by definition require more lengthy checks. For instance, I haven't heard of a brand new 787 requiring a D check in its first year of service.

A D check is done every 6-8 years so wouldn’t be done in the 1st year after entry into service. Aircraft maintenance intervals are scheduled and are done on a specific timeframe for all aircraft. The airframe life is governed by flight hours and cycles not age.

Would you be surprised to learn that the highest dispatch reliability of any fleet in the QF group is the 737-800 - which has some of the highest airframe hours? Testament to a very robust design.

At the same time, the ability to service and get parts for ageing aircraft, particularly those not being built anymore like the A380 can be challenging at times.

Spare parts are still stocked by the manufacturer in line with the amount of aircraft in service and their expected needs even if building of new aircraft of that type has ceased.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back