Lifemiles - ponderings from a veteran

Hi there all, just engaging, and got into a thread about Lifemiles changes for 2024.

My credentials are that I have amassed/bought many millions of LM points over the years, and have redeemed these predominantly for J travel, perhaps around 200 or so international legs (you lose count) :)

I have a few comments/experiences on this, but thought I would attempt a new thread. Rather than just respond to specific questions.

I absolutely LOVE Lifemiles. I used to also love Avianca, but they have gone to absolute shiite... a once great carrier re-invented as a low-cost-carrier post Covid :(

But Lifemiles itself seems to still be going strong.

Yes, during the Covid fiasco there were many carriers that changed things, etc, but it is sort of bouncing back very nicely now. As I have been a bit slack in actual travel recently, am not up to date with everything, such as previous successes with F on Thai, etc. But my experiences so far this year retain LM as my number one choice of travel departing from Australia. I can consistently get travel in J (as a solo traveller) from east coast Australia to west coast USA, for $3200 AUD return. This year so far have done it via Taipei on EVA and on United direct.

BUT!

You have to spend some time on it. You need to do endless searches via the LM site until you actually understand and get all the glitches and quirks that actually work in your favour. This is tedious - their site and search engine sometimes makes no sense. You have to bash and bash at it millions of times until you understand it. You should also invest in another tool - seats.aero. This assists in pointing in the rough direction of available seats. But learn to use it in conjunction with LM. Nothing is simple.

If it was simple, all the cheap seats would be easily taken. I love LM as it is a bit hard, which both cuts out 99% of those looking with no effort, and rewards those who actually put in the effort.

If someone wants advice how to use it generally, happy to help. But any question as to a specific route or trip, sorry, cannot help. You need to be prepared to put in the hard yards.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

I’m in the same boat as you. Bought and spent many millions of lifemiles. It *used* to be a great program. But it’s way too glitchy now.

Aeroplan charges exactly the same price to the USA. And are the same price on a return basis to Asia ex AU as LM.

Aeroplan is far more flexible, has better availability, and more partners. Appreciate LM may still be going strong in some markets, but I don’t understand the preference for LM over Aeroplan?

Just as a current example, when I checked a few weeks ago when Turkish announced their flights to Sydney… LM had zero availability, Aeroplan was offering 2+ seats every day.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back