admin

Established Member
Administrator
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Background to this thread
We have noticed an increase in the posting of questions regarding what Airport Lounges are available at specific airports when travelling on specific airlines. While one can be assured of access at the airline lounge when travelling on that airline (provided you have Lounge membership), thing start to get complex when travelling on a codeshare or partner airline.

Posting Guidelines
Please post your questions about Lounge access in this thread. Be sure to include the airline you are travelling on, the airport (and terminal, if known), and any Airline Status or Airport Lounge membership programs you have.

When answering questions, please include the original question. This will assist in readability and management of the thread.

(Special thanks to Princess Fiona for suggesting this new thread.)

Well I was there again in November. Not a queue in sight for anything. We both got one of those nice leather recliner chairs to nap in around the corner from the entry, had a nice a la carte meal in the upstairs restaurant and showers near the big pool. Didn't wait for anything except the freshly cooked meal to be prepared.

When I was there in September, I was told 4 hours for a queue for the main showers, two hours for the ones through the restaurant and they were trying to send people to another lounge for showers where they didn't know how long the queues would be but it got people out of the 'relaxing' rooms. The downstairs restaurant had a 30 minute queue for a table. They were stopping people leaving with food and there was no cutlery so helping yourself was not an option. I did see the menu and it was basically toasties.

A Doha lounge ...

Is that the F lounge? It looks like the J one but emptier - i.e. no people, few seats, just a cavernous space. The seats in the picture are the same as in the J lounge and they are not comfortable. They have no back support, no cushions and precious little padding. There doesn't seem to be anything to do or anything to look at. People may want different things in a lounge, but fundamentally I want a comfortable, cosy space to sit; I want to be able to graze on snacks and drinks to pass the time; I want a choice of TV areas and quiet reading areas; I want reasonable access to showers and loos. I want to know easily when it is time to go to my plane. I do not want to have to go to a restaurant area for food and drink; and I don't want to fill myself up with a meal in 10 minutes when I have three hours to kill.

If I were redesigning the DOH lounges, I would ditch the giant ponds; I would create zones; I would install comfortable seating; I would mix colours, textures, patterns; and I would have multiple self-serve food and drink points. I would probably look at IST or the BA lounges in LHR T5 for inspiration.

When I was there in September, I was told 4 hours for a queue for the main showers, two hours for the ones through the restaurant and they were trying to send people to another lounge for showers where they didn't know how long the queues would be but it got people out of the 'relaxing' rooms. The downstairs restaurant had a 30 minute queue for a table. They were stopping people leaving with food and there was no cutlery so helping yourself was not an option. I did see the menu and it was basically toasties.

Well, OK, I can't doubt you ... but who would add their name to a shower queue at 3 hours to nudge it towards 4?? I can't imagine the circumstances where the lounge was that crowded (and I've been there all hours of the day, numerous times), but what about other times you were there? Anyway, like I said, they have just opened 3 more large lounges (in time for the World Cup), so I dunno if your past experience is still relevant.

Is that the F lounge? It looks like the J one but emptier - i.e. no people, few seats, just a cavernous space. The seats in the picture are the same as in the J lounge and they are not comfortable. They have no back support, no cushions and precious little padding. There doesn't seem to be anything to do or anything to look at. People may want different things in a lounge, but fundamentally I want a comfortable, cosy space to sit; I want to be able to graze on snacks and drinks to pass the time; I want a choice of TV areas and quiet reading areas; I want reasonable access to showers and loos. I want to know easily when it is time to go to my plane. I do not want to have to go to a restaurant area for food and drink; and I don't want to fill myself up with a meal in 10 minutes when I have three hours to kill.

Yes, its Al Safwa and its nothing like the Al Moujan lounge. Are you sure you were at Al Mourjan, and not the coughpy one they used to have for other airline's Business Class pax?

Cosy this lounge is not - in my TR I called it cavernous and not really to my liking (preferring The Pier F at HGK) but it is neither crowded nor with the other attributes you ascribed to "Doha Lounges" and it has lots and lots of spaces beyond the high corridors you see in my pics. It has quiet reading areas, business areas with desks and little offices, you can have this space to yourself for up to 6 hours, if you like. If you don't want to eat in a restaurant setting, the waiter will bring food and drink to your seat. But no, no buffet 😂

IMG_0289.JPG

IMG_0290.JPG

IMG_0291.JPG

Al Mourjan doesn't have the rooms like these, but has areas with recliners and also semi-private lounges with comfy couches, if you know where to go.

Sure, if you don't want to have to go to an a la carte restaurant for food and drink, or waiter service outside the restaurant, that's easy - stick to the concourse. 🙂

Sounds like you has a bad experience at DOH in September - fair enough; but what you are describing is nowhere near the typical DOH lounge experience, in Al Mourjan or Al Safwa.

Don’t want to doubt the OPs experience but I’ve seen plenty of reports putting the Al Mourjan and Al Safwa lounges as either one of the best or the best in the world. I was at Al Safwa a month ago and thought it was amazing (and had 20 hours to experience), food great, champagne better, the opposite of crowded, seats comfy and sleeping rooms even better (though I did have to wait about 3 hours).

20hrs :oops: And here I was moaning to friends about a 12 hr layover.

Thereis a write up about to two best lounges at doha below
Don’t want to doubt the OPs experience but I’ve seen plenty of reports putting the Al Mourjan and Al Safwa lounges as either one of the best or the best in the world. I was at Al Safwa a month ago and thought it was amazing (and had 20 hours to experience), food great, champagne better, the opposite of crowded, seats comfy and sleeping rooms even better (though I did have to wait about 3 hours).

https://www.luxurytraveldiary.com/2...lass-lounges-at-hamad-airport-doha-qatar/amp/

What are the access rules for Al Safwa...

I ate at the downstairs resturant in the Al Mourjan in May. I did not see a single toastie on the menu. I had a caesar salad with chicken
As I understand it:
Flying in or out on QR F
Flying QR J with QRWP
Have seen a report on OMAAT of flying QR J plus pay ~USD165

If I were redesigning the DOH lounges, I would ditch the giant ponds; I would create zones; I would install comfortable seating; I would mix colours, textures, patterns; and I would have multiple self-serve food and drink points. I would probably look at IST or the BA lounges in LHR T5 for inspiration.
Wasn't that before the new lounges were open so not current info. I agree it was packed when we were there in May but pre Covid it was excellent.

What are the access rules for Al Safwa...

I ate at the downstairs resturant in the Al Mourjan in May. I did not see a single toastie on the menu. I had a caesar salad with chicken

As I understand it, as with many lounges there are a series of complex rules but without , "very generally" - flying on QR metal in F = Safwa, QR metal plus J = Mourjan

If you non statused J on other metal then a different lesser lounge is offered.

Last edited:
I was at DOH for 21 hours in October, had access to the Gold lounge. It was busy in the early morning and evening but enough seats for everyone. Food was self-serve but drinks were from the bar. During the day there were more staff than pax in there.

I had three showers and never had to wait to take one. Also got into the Platinum lounge on the outbound trip, it was also busy but there were still plenty of seats.

To the OP, try your luck and ask if you, your wife and your children can get access and hope they don't ask for ID for the kids to check birthdates.

Also be aware that the Doha lounges are really not good - they have all the charm of being on the general concourse, long queues for everything, noisy, no help yourself food or drinks unless you like water, and depending on the time of day, seats may require queueing. Getting a group of five together could be a challenge. I'd find a cafe or look at the shops.
There's a self-serve buffet as well as à la carte upstairs at the Al Mourjan.. see windows at top of first photo and pics 4, 5 and 6 below.
I was there in late October. Wasn't exactly packed.
5 minute wait for a shower. No wait for either restaurant. Waiter service for drinks and there's a small food station downstairs if you go to the right where the tarmac views are (pic 3).

Doha1.jpgDoha2.jpgDoha3.jpgDoha4.jpgDoha5.jpgDoha6.jpg

Last edited:
There's a self-serve buffet as well as à la carte upstairs at the Al Mourjan.. see windows at top of first photo and pics 4, 5 and 6 below.
I was there in late October. Wasn't exactly packed.
5 minute wait for a shower. No wait for either restaurant. Waiter service for drinks and there's a small food station downstairs if you go to the right where the tarmac views are (pic 3).

Fair enough, maybe I was unlucky on my visits. I could not go upstairs as you had to be on a list and they said it was over an hour wait. But even when empty, it doesn't look either comfortable or inviting - just big, featureless and uncomfortable. Really not qualitatively different to the main concourse where at least there are things to look at and trains to ride on. I am clearly not the target market for QR and I only flew them as they are the only OW airline going to Tehran - and that is the reason I will have to fly with them again next year.

Lucky you! I went once - is this holiday type or work related?

Holiday. I went on the standard tourist circuit this year (Tehran, Yazd, Shiraz, Isfahan, Kashan) and loved it so much I am going again next year to go to the north of the country and the Caspian Sea.

Holiday. I went on the standard tourist circuit this year (Tehran, Yazd, Shiraz, Isfahan, Kashan) and loved it so much I am going again next year to go to the north of the country and the Caspian Sea.

That's exactly what I did and want to do. Suffer DOH - it'll be worth it 🙂 but with the terminal extension and new lounges I'm sure you won't have a repeat experience.

Turkmenistan is still closed, but next year, if it opens, and you can get a tour to Ashgabat (must be a tour), I'd strongly recommend it.

That's exactly what I did and want to do. Suffer DOH - it'll be worth it 🙂 but with the terminal extension and new lounges I'm sure you won't have a repeat experience.

Turkmenistan is still closed, but next year, if it opens, and you can get a tour to Ashgabat (must be a tour), I'd strongly recommend it.

[off topic] I went to the central Asian CIS republics in 2019 - started in ASB then through UZ, KG and along the Pamir Highway in TJ. Routed through Alma Ata on the way home for a night's stopover. This was a Dragoman trip - sadly they don't seem to have emerged yet from Covid.

I had been due to go on a Young Pioneers tour to the Horn of Africa next year but they cut the trip duration quite radically while not really reducing their price so I thought it no longer looked attractive. This gave me a spare three weeks and I contacted my Iranian guide on the off chance... Routing through Transnistria on the way there for a Young Pioneers tour (so QR OTP-DOH-IKA) and through Amritsar/Lahore self-guided on the way back (so QR IKA-DOH-ATQ).

You have an impressive set of trips in your signature block. My aim is to churn credit cards to generate points that I can burn on adventure travel. [/off topic]

As I understand it:
Flying in or out on QR F
Flying QR J with QRWP
Have seen a report on OMAAT of flying QR J plus pay ~USD165
Thanks all...

i'll be QR J but no QR WP. Only QF and VA platinum
Not that keen to spend $165 for a 2 to 3 hour transit.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

That's the one I was at. I wouldn't cross the road to go back there. As bad a lounge as I have come across.
Gosh. I really like it. Relaxing and there are areas where you can settle down quietly. Used this lounge about 15 times now. Thumbs up from me compared to most others I have been in and the showers are excellent.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back