admin

Established Member
Administrator
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Background to this thread
We have noticed an increase in the posting of questions regarding what Airport Lounges are available at specific airports when travelling on specific airlines. While one can be assured of access at the airline lounge when travelling on that airline (provided you have Lounge membership), thing start to get complex when travelling on a codeshare or partner airline.

Posting Guidelines
Please post your questions about Lounge access in this thread. Be sure to include the airline you are travelling on, the airport (and terminal, if known), and any Airline Status or Airport Lounge membership programs you have.

When answering questions, please include the original question. This will assist in readability and management of the thread.

(Special thanks to Princess Fiona for suggesting this new thread.)

Daughter in Law and and grandson are travelling to Seoul next may flying Qantas . Daughter in law has a Qantas FF we can transfer a lounge entry pass to , does four year old grandson need his own Qantas FF for us to transfer a lounge pass to ?

Daughter in Law and and grandson are travelling to Seoul next may flying Qantas . Daughter in law has a Qantas FF we can transfer a lounge entry pass to , does four year old grandson need his own Qantas FF for us to transfer a lounge pass to ?
Here's the QF guide to child access to lounges. If the lounge is owned and operated by Qantas, then they get complimentary access:
Screenshot 2022-12-07 at 13.53.26.png

Here's the QF guide to child access to lounges. If the lounge is owned and operated by Qantas, then they get complimentary access:
Ah yeah, but not with a lounge pass
3.1 Invitations are sent to Eligible Customers at Qantas' absolute and sole discretion and Qantas can withdraw Invitations at any time. Invitations are only for Eligible Customers and Eligible Customers cannot bring guests, including children.

As a QANTAS platinum, travelling on a QANTAS domestic ticket, can I access the QANTAS International lounge in the same way? I have an onward international ticket, departing the same terminal, but not a QANTAS OR OneWorld partner. I'm in Melbourne T2 right now.
No. The most you can do is access the Qantas domestic lounge on arrival after your domestic ticket, before heading off to the international terminal.

You mention you have an onward international ticket departing the same terminal - generally this is not possible, unless your domestic flight is one of those rare ones that used the international terminals?

No. The most you can do is access the Qantas domestic lounge on arrival after your domestic ticket, before heading off to the international terminal.

You mention you have an onward international ticket departing the same terminal - generally this is not possible, unless your domestic flight is one of those rare ones that used the international terminals?
If I understand the OP correctly they are arriving on a domestic ticket and then heading to the international terminal for an onward flight on a non-oneworld airline.

They were hoping to use their domestic ticket as evidence of ‘same day’ travel and access the QF international lounge.

Agree, this is not possible.

The Virgin Australia page you linked to in your first point contains the following in very small print: "For QR operated lounges in Doha only, eligible members are permitted 1 guest + children (aged 2-11 years)".

So the Qatar lounge (which presumably will be the Platinum Lounge) will allow you, the other adult and children aged 11 and 8 to enter. That leaves one extra person.

My first strategy would be to simply ask nicely at the entrance, maybe in a way that doesn't highlight that one of your children is over 13: "According to the Velocity website, children have access so may we enter please?" or words to that effect.

If that doesn't work you may need to split yourselves between that lounge and the Al Maha lounge which is a Priority Pass lounge.

Thanks team. I wrote wrongly, I should have wrote same airport. However, I find the same terminal question intriguing. Let's explore that more.

QANTAS used to have a QF8 from Dallas that then flew onwards to Sydney, but it flew to Sydney out of the international airport. That would be a good example. I found out this morning that QANTAS can check your baggage through to your international flight with many but not all airlines, including non-partners like Singapore and Thai, but not AirAsia. This could make taking a domestic QANTAS flight out of an international terminal worthwhile. Your thoughts?

Thanks team. I wrote wrongly, I should have wrote same airport. However, I find the same terminal question intriguing. Let's explore that more.

QANTAS used to have a QF8 from Dallas that then flew onwards to Sydney, but it flew to Sydney out of the international airport. That would be a good example. I found out this morning that QANTAS can check your baggage through to your international flight with many but not all airlines, including non-partners like Singapore and Thai, but not AirAsia. This could make taking a domestic QANTAS flight out of an international terminal worthwhile. Your thoughts?
There are so few, if any left. The QF9/10 to and from PER might be one option. But not sure of the benefit of the international lounge at MEL over the domestic offerings. The latter are better!

There are a couple of JQ domestic flights leaving from international.

But you have to arrive much earlier than a departure from the domestic terminal, and you are subject to customs inspection on arrival.

As a QANTAS platinum, travelling on a QANTAS domestic ticket, can I access the QANTAS International lounge in the same way? I have an onward international ticket, departing the same terminal, but not a QANTAS OR OneWorld partner. I'm in Melbourne T2 right now.
The Qantas Lounge Access Eligibility page covers this one at its base - it's the first point under 'Important Information' (with my bolding):

Important information​

Lounge access eligibility is based on the class of travel or the Frequent Flyer Membership tier for your next onward flight.
Now, there are some documented exceptions to this, like arrivals access at DOM J for WPs, but as a general rule, I'd expect them to look at where you are headed and on which carrier or ticket, and not where you came from. This isn't to say you shouldn't have a go at it... but be ready to accept the documented outcome!

Cheers,
Matt.

Also be aware that the Doha lounges are really not good - they have all the charm of being on the general concourse, long queues for everything, noisy, no help yourself food or drinks unless you like water, and depending on the time of day, seats may require queueing. Getting a group of five together could be a challenge. I'd find a cafe or look at the shops.

I've only visited one lounge at DOH - Al Mourjan lounge (five times) and it was excellent on all visits, up there with the best. Didn't queue for anything except showers once. Not visited any of the others, so can't comment on them.

I've only visited one lounge at DOH - Al Mourjan lounge (five times) and it was excellent on all visits, up there with the best. Not visited any of the others, so can't comment on them.

That's the one I was at. I wouldn't cross the road to go back there. As bad a lounge as I have come across.

Also be aware that the Doha lounges are really not good - they have all the charm of being on the general concourse, long queues for everything, noisy, no help yourself food or drinks unless you like water, and depending on the time of day, seats may require queueing. Getting a group of five together could be a challenge. I'd find a cafe or look at the shops.

You've expressed your dislike of QR lounges (and QSuites!) before and you must go to ones I haven't been to, although the old 'OW Platinum' lounge was crummy (its now gone).. I've been using the Al Mourjan lounge for years and years and can sincerely say I rarely see a queue (let alone a 'long queue') for anything - exception being showers if you hit them at their peak, but then there are the other, lesser known showers at the other end. Can always get a meal in the restaurant or cafe with no problem (queuing), let alone a seat in the general area.

Now that QR have opened what - 3 new, very big additional lounges for its C concourse extension - I cannot see overcrowding as possibly being an issue, at any time.

And to say that the Al Safa lounge (amongst "Doha Lounges") is "really not good", queuing required and with the charm of the concourse etc is simply absurd.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

That's the one I was at. I wouldn't cross the road to go back there. As bad a lounge as I have come across.

Well I was there again in November. Not a queue in sight for anything. We both got one of those nice leather recliner chairs to nap in around the corner from the entry, had a nice a la carte meal in the upstairs restaurant and showers near the big pool. Didn't wait for anything except the freshly cooked meal to be prepared.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back