admin

Established Member
Administrator
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Background to this thread
We have noticed an increase in the posting of questions regarding what Airport Lounges are available at specific airports when travelling on specific airlines. While one can be assured of access at the airline lounge when travelling on that airline (provided you have Lounge membership), thing start to get complex when travelling on a codeshare or partner airline.

Posting Guidelines
Please post your questions about Lounge access in this thread. Be sure to include the airline you are travelling on, the airport (and terminal, if known), and any Airline Status or Airport Lounge membership programs you have.

When answering questions, please include the original question. This will assist in readability and management of the thread.

(Special thanks to Princess Fiona for suggesting this new thread.)

Prior to travelling to the UK earlier this year, I paid to join Qantas Club specifically to gain access to Qantas lounges for my wife and I. We travelled by QF1 Sydney, Darwin and onwards to London, both legs on a 789 seated in Premium Economy. On arrival at Darwin, we were denied access to the Qantas International Transit Lounge. We were advised that the Lounge was full and that they were only permitting Platinum members to enter.
Most airlines lounges can enforce capacity controls. It sucks but it is a reality of travel. This is partially why it is so important to look not only at the origin and destination but also the connection points to see if there is a chance that you could run into such issues. Congestion at major airports with major airlines is rarely an issue precisely because they have to build for anticipated capacity. To give an example, Sydney airport Qantas has to provide lounge services for a number of partners that fly through the airport including Japan Air, Malaysian, American, British Airways, Sri Lankan, etc. I haven't been to the QF INTL lounge at SYD too often but I doubt both the F and J lounges have been chock-a-block (fellow AFFers correct me if I'm mistaken here). It's a big market with many travellers and consequently they built capacity for it.

You would have had eligibility to access the lounge, but not a guarantee of access. This is true of lounges at any time, where capacity controls may result in some pax being redirected to another lounge, or excluded altogether. Status will always be a factor in who could be impacted, and QC isn’t far off the base when it comes to status, I’m afraid.
Yes status can make a big difference as well. Generally those with it will be prioritized when the lounges start to fill up which at least domestically can be quite often. In which case if you are a Gold or better you generally won't encounter any issues. Is it fair for Qantas to prioritize someone who earned Gold or Platinum status through flying versus someone who paid hundreds a year for lounge access is open for debate. Whether QF owes the passenger something for not providing a service they paid for is a good question, too.
Outside of the pandemic, I doubt it’s very often this occurs, and agree and noted that compensation could be sought… but important for perspective, this was not the SYD F lounge or an International J lounge, it was a capacity constraint in a ‘pop-up’ transit lounge (catered for by the DRW DOM QC) for a temporary routing during a period when LHR airport operations caused numerous cancellations and other downstream issues. Other lounges which can get by during busy periods were impacted by COVID density requirements and prevented from being able to operate as designed for, as well. Not everything can be perfectly planned for.
Hopefully not a silly question, but what is to stop them from visiting the domestic QF lounge? Couldn't they simply stroll into the QF domestic lounge (provided it is open) show their onward boarding pass and access the lounge there? I understand they would still need to clear international security and emigration but I reckon the domestic QF Club would be as good (if not better) than whatever the transit lounge has to offer in terms of amenities and space.

-RooFlyer88

Having flown into KIX back in 2019 as a United Premier Gold flying Polaris Business, I must say that there's not much to write home about at the lounges they have there. Food was limited and meh, there were no shower facilities and didn't have the same space and business facilities I have come to expect from the ANA lounges at NRT (I visited the ANA and the Asuka lounge at the time).

-RooFlyer88

Hi All,

I'm travelling next week with Singapore airlines, Perth > Singapore > Delhi.

As a velocity gold member i understand i can access the krisflyer lounge in Perth and then the "krisflyer gold" lounge in Changi (plus 1 guest).

However, do i have to link my velocity membership to my flight, or can i leave it connected to my krisflyer account?

Do i just show my gold velocity card at both lounges, or do i need to have it connected prior to the flight and have it printed on my boarding pass (assuming SQ does this for a 'partner' as opposed to a star alliance member).

Any advice would be appreciated!

Edit: Checking manage my booking.... i dont actually see a way to add anything other than a krisflyer number.....
1668521993647.png

Last edited:
Hopefully not a silly question, but what is to stop them from visiting the domestic QF lounge? Couldn't they simply stroll into the QF domestic lounge (provided it is open) show their onward boarding pass and access the lounge there? I understand they would still need to clear international security and emigration but I reckon the domestic QF Club would be as good (if not better) than whatever the transit lounge has to offer in terms of amenities and space.
When QF1 passengers deplaned in Darwin, we were only able to access one large waiting room, and the Qantas Transit Lounge. The glass doors at the end of the main waiting room were locked, so that passengers could not access other parts of the airport. The rest of the airport appeared deserted apart from several cleaners. I doubt if the domestic QF Club Lounge was open , but as you said, passengers would still have had to clear emigration.

Hi All,

I'm travelling next week with Singapore airlines, Perth > Singapore > Delhi.

As a velocity gold member i understand i can access the krisflyer lounge in Perth and then the "krisflyer gold" lounge in Changi (plus 1 guest).

However, do i have to link my velocity membership to my flight, or can i leave it connected to my krisflyer account?

Do i just show my gold velocity card at both lounges, or do i need to have it connected prior to the flight and have it printed on my boarding pass (assuming SQ does this for a 'partner' as opposed to a star alliance member).

Any advice would be appreciated!

Edit: Checking manage my booking.... i dont actually see a way to add anything other than a krisflyer number.....
View attachment 307605
You should be able to flash your VFF Gold card to gain access in the lounge. Usually they scan the boarding pass so be prepared to hand over your card.

If they kick up a stink ask them to change your boarding pass and then once in the lounge change it back to SQ.

I did recently have a Y points flight on SQ. On checkin, I used the J checkin lines and showed my digital VA gold pass. They added VA GL to the boarding pass and no issues at the lounge.

I did recently have a Y points flight on SQ. On checkin, I used the J checkin lines and showed my digital VA gold pass. They added VA GL to the boarding pass and no issues at the lounge.

Thanks for the tip! Totally forgot about the priority check in and boarding.

Is it possible/worthwhile to add VFF to your SQ booking before flying? I'm flying out in 4 weeks, with the family, wife and I are both VFF Gold and want to ensure the lounge/checkin process is easy.... as well as to accrue VFF status from the flights... or do we just show the cards at check in?

i dont actually see a way to add anything other than a krisflyer number

I was having this problem recently. Eventually I worked out that I needed to go into my SQ profile and add my VA number somewhere deep in the SQ profile details. Then log out and log back in. Then after that miraculously I had the dropdown option appear of either VA or SQ for a number of the different partner arrangements.

No dice. Checked my SQ profile, under Partner Programs I have (and have always had) VFF listed. In fact I can't unlink/delete it? Still can't add VFF number to any of our bookings, under Manage Booking we only have the KF dropdown option. I wonder if it matters that it was a KF reward booking?

No dice. Checked my SQ profile, under Partner Programs I have (and have always had) VFF listed. In fact I can't unlink/delete it? Still can't add VFF number to any of our bookings, under Manage Booking we only have the KF dropdown option. I wonder if it matters that it was a KF reward booking?
That's the issue. It's not possible to get a VA (or any non-SQ number) attached to a KF award

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

That's the issue. It's not possible to get a VA (or any non-SQ number) attached to a KF award
I recall being able to add my VFF number during online check-in (after adding it to my KF account), but it wasn't possible on the 'manage booking' page prior to check-in

I wonder if it matters that it was a KF reward booking?
Ah ha, thats definitely the issue then, mine is a reward booking too.
Regardless I don't think the OP will have any trouble showing their card/digital card at the lounge entrance
Sounds like it shouldn't be a problem! I'll try asking at check-in anyway, but no fuss either way. Thanks all!

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back