Major changes to Velocity Frequent Flyer announced 17/10/24

Ok but your point seemingly made in your post was the lack of competition in Aus led to the devaluation.

But I see now your saying VA cheap status compared to QF.

WP still required 8 sectors to be flown. I read many QF WPs attain their status during DSC promos with less than 8 QF sectors flown.

Cheaply can mean more than just financial means.

Well you only need 4 sectors, and if you have points club you can do it without giving a cent to QF.

Even for revenue you could spend a few hundred dollars on QF and get the rest of your SCs with oneworld airlines at a much cheaper rate than VA. I don’t buy that QF status costs more. I think that’s only true if you’re flying QF metal most of the time.

I also don’t think it’s much of a stretch that OWS/E status is worth more than the equivalent on VA.

Cheaply can mean more than just financial means.
Cheap refers to financial outlay when it is explicitly stated!

Some of the esoteric examples that are concocted to try to demonstrate that Qantas offers status more cheaply than Virgin are quite funny. 'If you only fly between DTW & DFW on AA, it is cheaper to get Qantas Plat than Virgin Plat' lol.

I maintain AA Executive Platinum for free through US credit card manufactured spending, but I'm under no illusion that there is more than a handful of people in Australia doing this (if that). I don't tell other people 'it is cheaper to get OWE through AA than QF' ha.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

These changes really hurt the 'travel hacker' who maintains status cheaply through, for example, discounted domestic J fares and family pooling. But these people have no where to go.
I initially became Gold in 2013 by timing annual trips to have an outbound SQ trip to Paris occurring within 12 months of a previous major trip, and other than a brief period dropping to Silver last year (my tolerance level for pandemic travel is lower than others), I’ve generally just tipped over the 400 per year. First it was Long Service Leave enabling two big trips per year for a few years, and that got helped along by things like SQ introducing premium economy, the Flybuys SCs and the occasional double status promo.

These changes were announced while I was literally onboard my 4th eligible flight for this period which now assures my requalification to Gold next month for what will clearly be my final year of status with Velocity.

SQ has always been the core of my earning and benefit of Gold, and I’ve always known that outside of Velocity it was a status I had no hope of achieving. So it is what it is, and no I have nowhere to go. In my initial reaction I wondered if I should credit my return flight to Sydney to KrisFlyer, but there’s zero chance of me earning KF Gold, which kind of says it all.

With me being older and with the pandemic, I’m now more likely to just book at least Premium Economy… and both OS trips in this new era have been in Business, so Gold has added nothing to those.

I look at these changes and ultimately the conclusion I come to is that this simply removes any drive to remain loyal to VA and the Velocity partners, but that isn’t something that impacts VA much at all.

Hopefully for those of you staying on, the tired Sydney lounge becomes less overcrowded!

Cheap refers to financial outlay when it is explicitly stated!

Some of the esoteric examples that are concocted to try to demonstrate that Qantas offers status more cheaply than Virgin are quite funny. 'If you only fly between DTW & DFW on AA, it is cheaper to get Qantas Plat than Virgin Plat' lol.

I maintain AA Executive Platinum for free through US credit card manufactured spending, but I'm under no illusion that there is more than a handful of people in Australia doing this (if that). I don't tell other people 'it is cheaper to get OWE through AA than QF' ha.

If we accept VA now has a floor price of 10K for WP, that means you have to beat $8.33/SC to get it cheaper on QF (excluding DSC on both programs).

You’re not even trying if you can’t beat that, and you don’t need obscure domestic AA routes.

The point is you’re not limited to one airline to get half of your SCs. You can shop around. Can’t do that with VA.

If we accept VA now has a floor price of 10K for WP, that means you have to beat $8.33/SC to get it cheaper on QF (excluding DSC on both programs).

You’re not even trying if you can’t beat that, and you don’t need obscure domestic AA routes.

The point is you’re not limited to one airline to get half of your SCs. You can shop around. Can’t do that with VA.
Agreed although I think with the caveat “for now”.

I think Velocity’s relative value proposition has long held QF back in terms of devaluations. Given this one is so substantial, QF will probably follow.

VA lounges are IMHO far better than Qantas Club for domestic.
Boiling 80c packets of pasta and throwing a $2 jar of pasta sauce over them? Oh and those 20c bread roles, or pastry puffs, what a treat ;)
Embarrassingly cheap Hardys wine that is about $6 a bottle in Dan's!
The Lounge used to have great food and wine, but not since the "mid-market" VA2 model took hold.
The lounges themselves, are mostly better (look, feel, space), if that's all you are referring to, (albeit nowhere near as extensive as Qantas), but what's on offer out of the kitchen is dire.
The issue is the new FF model is that of a full-service airline, which they are not, heck, they don't even offer lounge access to their most loyal FF's on VA international metal, yet Jetstar does for J travellers! That's laughable.
If they are going to make these changes, they had better offer a better product by launch AND reverse their decision on the reduction of points earned for international, most of the other changes to me make relatively good business sense.

Last edited:

I think Velocity’s relative value proposition has long held QF back in terms of devaluations. Given this one is so substantial, QF will probably follow.

I don’t think so. QF has competition for loyalty programs even for people who choose to fly its own metal.

Easy switch to BA or AA (amongst others) if they do. Actually the new AS/HA might be a good choice.

So I had VA Plat pre covid but lost it just before. I've now obtained it again and calculated a total spend of $5400 for the year, 54% of that spend was work travel but that only counted toward 25% of my total to gain plat.

Now it'll cost almost double to retain which means it's highly unlikely I'll retain and it's possible even Gold will be a struggle (unless they have double SC promos with the new spend requirements). I've also received my activity history since 2013 and am only half way to lifetime.

I understand I'm one of the "cheaper" plats but given I also hold QF Plat I'll probably be requesting more QF flights from work in the future and looking at similar for personal travel.

Agree with that but there would be plenty of people who pretty much travel domestically only and would have different travel patterns to other.
All FFP’s have pros and cons and only the individual can decide what works for them

Agree with that but there would be plenty of people who pretty much travel domestically only and would have different travel patterns to other.
All FFP’s have pros and cons and only the individual can decide what works for them

And that’s why VA is culling elites.

If you are QF WP only flying domestic you’re definitely paying your way!

I'm not sure how much of restraint Velocity has been on QF devaluing the program. I think Qantas' key takeaway from the Alan Joyce era was that it didn't matter how badly they treated the customers, they'd keep coming back for more.

Excluding DSC, Australian Frequent Flyer lists the very best domestic status runs on Qantas at $8.70/SC (#3 & #4). The very best status runs originating in Australia are $7/SC. And these are flights done purely for the additional SCs. If you fly Qantas with cash at all in your membership year (domestic or international), your average SC cost will be higher. And if you avail yourself of these options to shop around with another oneworld airline flying into or out of Australia, what you save in dollars you lose in reduced SC earn.

To consistently beat VA on a $/SC basis, most of your flights have to avoid flying within, out of or into Australia. And if that is you, you were never collecting VA status over QF status in the first place.

Someone collecting VA status on the cheap through their weekly Coles shop, pooling their annual family holiday to the Gold Coast & the occasional domestic J upgrade is not going to move to Qantas to collect status by flying Royal Jordanian between Cairo and Kuala Lumpur lol.

Someone collecting VA status on the cheap through their weekly Coles shop, pooling their annual family holiday to the Gold Coast & the occasional domestic J upgrade is not going to move to Qantas to collect status by flying Royal Jordanian between Cairo and Kuala Lumpur lol.

No, never said they would.

But your statement that QF status costs more is not correct. It depends on your travel patterns. If you primarily fly domestic, it probably does (but it’s also not a given VA fares are always cheaper. They’re not).

But if you travel overseas even once or twice a year it’s not hard to get OWE, but it does require some intra-continental flying OR RTW (ie you can easily get status with a DONE4, which you can get under 10K if you’re smart about it).

Of course QF reliably has DSCs which can make it easier. You’d think VA will have them do but if you’re only flying domestic that’s a bit unrealistic to book a years worth of trips in 5 days or whatever. Easier to book one or two international trips.

Then there’s the elephant in the room - if you’re only flying domestic why do you need WP? Just pay for lounge access.

No argument there. I don’t think you see many QF WPs that don’t fly internationally.
Disagree there - if we count NZ as quasi-domestic, there are about 40 QF WPs that acheive it via domestic travel where I work ! Some have never been overseas before for business or pleasure. I even acheived Plat1 on all domestic Y one year, so I am sure there are plenty at VA who do the same.

But your statement that QF status costs more is not correct. It depends on your travel patterns. If you primarily fly domestic, it probably does (but it’s also not a given VA fares anre always cheaper. They’re not).
As I said, 'To consistently beat VA on a $/SC basis, most of your flights have to avoid flying within, out of or into Australia.'

Nothing you have said disproved my statement.

You have given examples of attaining cheaper status by highlighting someone who avoids flying within, out of and into Australia for all but 2-4 flights per membership year lol.

Your example of someone attaining QF Plat with a RTW with a DONE4 for under $10K relies on the person no longer flying Qantas on a cash ticket for the rest of their year. Once you start paying for Qantas flights again, your $/SC shoots way back up.

Surprised you mentioned DSCs as it completely undercuts your argument. Qantas had one DSC in 2023. Virgin had three. Qantas had DSCs in 2024. Virgin had triple SCs.

As I said, 'To consistently beat VA on a $/SC basis, most of your flights have to avoid flying within, out of or into Australia.'

Nothing you have said disproved my statement.

You have given examples of attaining cheaper status by highlighting someone who avoids flying within, out of and into Australia for all but 2-4 flights per membership year lol.

Your example of someone attaining QF Plat with a RTW with a DONE4 for under $10K relies on the person no longer flying Qantas on a cash ticket for the rest of their year. Once you start paying for Qantas flights again, your $/SC shoots way back up.

Surprised you mentioned DSCs as it completely undercuts your argument. Qantas had one DSC in 2023. Virgin had three. Qantas had DSCs in 2024. Virgin had triple SCs.

I didn’t disagree with your latest post.

Just your original statement. I get my QF WP status for under 10K easy.

Let’s see how VA DSCs go moving forward.

Let's all chip in some dollars and get Rex back 🤣 🤣 🤣
Say what you will about Rex but they actually had some of the best domestic lounges in Australia aside from QF First. Good selection of food and beverages plus ultra exclusive. You didn’t find the riff raff coming in.
Question for all these people disappointed with the changes: what are you going to do?
Nothing! I had Gold status last year (matched over from QFF Gold) and never ended up using the status. What I will tell Virgin members disappointed by the enhancements to frequent flyer status is the same thing my colleague told me when United Airlines went from a strictly milage flown status accrual scheme to a $$$ spent status scheme: "these changes will probably be the best thing that ever happened to you with respect to flying. You are now a free agent and can look around, trying new airlines and frequent flyer programs." In my case it meant switching over to QF via a status match (which actually made a lot of sense given the difficulty in flying United whilst here). So I'd say take a look around. Maybe Singapore, Air Canada or Qatar's program is better in terms of earning status and you'll end up ahead in terms of benefits not just on Virgin but other partners too.
Move back to Qantas where cash fares are higher, points redemptions are higher, status requirements are equal if not higher?
Again that's up for debate. Qantas has the lowest fares in Australia for domestic flights when departing looking for flights departing Sydney Terminal 3 or Melbourne Terminal 1. Joking aside, the difference with QF is that there are more opportunities to earn status credits flying partners than with VA, with particularly good accrual on US domestic flights in premium cabin as Qantas cannot figure out how US geography works.

Award redemptions on Qantas not only cost more points, but also incur considerable carrier surcharges, particularly when flying Emirates. Sure Virgin has them too but they seem to be a token amount by comparison. One nice thing about Qantas though is that you can often book classic award flights with them cheaply with their partner frequent flyer programs such as using BA Avios to book SYD > PER for 11,000 Avios.
Start flying Jetstar? Stop flying altogether? They're typically already the BFOD outside of Jetstar so that won't change a whole lot.
JétStar is obviously an option for accruing status credits but even there, it's not as appealing as it once was given the scrapping of Max fares which would earn status credits at the Flex rate. I remember earning 100 status credits on a SYD > DRW run for ~$300 on such a fare.
You think Virgin Australia could not have done worse than ~10% award price devaluation? lmao this is just too funny. Virgin Atlantic is on their third 10% deval of this year.
Oh they certainly could have done worse here. I think one need only look to Delta Airways to see how bad it could get: 1,000,000 SkyPesos for a flight between Sydney and LA? You betcha!
I do plan my flights on VA metal around the DSC times tbh on J. So i am guilty of the Status run. So let's say QF and VA did a DSC, i'd imagine doing a flight with QF would provide a better $/SC ratio, depending on the destination.
One thing that is unclear is how DSCs will work. Will they simply lower the number dollar amount required to earn a status credit (i.e. from $12 per SC to $6 per SC), or do something else? Virgin will no doubt make adjustments to the program to soften the blow here. Yes they do want to thin the herd but they don't want the ranks to shrink to nothing.
I may be wrong tho, happy to be corrected! But based on my current flight patterns, i'm losing more than 50% of my SC with the new changes. :(
I think at this point you'll want to consider other options. Either crediting the flights elsewhere or choosing a different strategy for earning status. Now is an excellent time to re-evaluate, as I did when United fired me as an elite.
I wonder if 100 SCs will still be on offer for $50k annual spend? And how that would fit in with the SC requirement for flying on VA metal.
That's always a possibility and something other frequent flyer programs do. For instance, AA allows you to earn status without setting foot on an airplane with its loyalty points scheme for earning status. Heck, you could earn AA Platinum Status by staying 100 nights a year at Hyatt properties globally.
Overall, still processing these changes but it's likely a net loss for me. Got plenty of my SCs from partner airlines and booking J in DSC etc. I can understand why they've done it from the commercial perspective, though, it was kind of silly that I was WP at one point with the amount of flying I did - certainly not the $10k per annum that it will cost now on the new calculation.
With any overhaul of a frequent flyer program there will be winners and losers. And while yes this seems like a net loss for many frequent flyers there are new opportunities that have come along, including the possibility of finally being able to construct itineraries that are 20,000 miles in length.
These changes will help trim the current self-important riff-raff numbers in the lounge.
Do you know who I am? No seriously, I'm asking! My full name doesn't appear on my frequent flyer card and I don't know who I am! 😂
VA has been generous here in the past but they are now making profits, courting exotic types from way off sandy places and generally growing up. Harder decisions need to be made.
The real question will be what their exit strategy will be. Will they float on the stock market or sell out to sovereign wealth funds? Only time will tell!
Having status is a choice and these changes will not disadvantage me terribly.
Spot on! And like I always say, elite status has no value unless it is used regularly. If you fly once or twice a year, status just ain't for you. You'll get all the benefits (and more) on a business ticket and not have to do the mental gymnastics of trying to qualify for status you'll never use!

USA have these devaluations yet have plenty competition.
I wouldn't say that. The US has less competition than Australia with there being only a couple of airlines serving a market which is much larger geographically and population wise than Australia. What is different, however, is the government over there is starting to crack down on devaluations with bills being discussed that would hold airlines accountable for devaluations. What impact that has no frequent flyer awards remains to be seen.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back