Major changes to Velocity Frequent Flyer announced 17/10/24

I've never seen those types of numbers for priority.
I see them enforce priority-only passengers in the priority queue a lot now, which is nice to see, also, keep in mind that after status holders begin dropping like flies 2025/2026 (under the new earn rates), that'll be a much lower number boarding via priority ;)
5-7pm on the SYD-MEL route…

That’s if course when they actually offer PB. Most if the time they like to give priority about 10 seconds, then board the general lane as well.

5-7pm on the SYD-MEL route…

That’s if course when they actually offer PB. Most if the time they like to give priority about 10 seconds, then board the general lane as well.
I've always managed to be one of the first 10 -15 pax to board, but I've never noticed queues behind me that long.
Either way, as I mentioned, those numbers are without doubt going to drop off later next year and continue to drop into 2026.
I don't expect to see many, (sure there will be some), leisure-only flyers by mid-2026, in priority, other than those that have purchased Econ X or treated themselves to J.

Last edited:
I wonder whether it's worth making some last minute bookings during the current VA sale, or wait and hope that they gave a DSC sale prior to April.
I'm currently WP and can push to retain WP with relative ease for this membership cycle (no hope for bookings made after April). I'm unfortunately too far away to push for FG though.
I'm wondering whether there's any point now as I'll need to spend too much to get to FG. Decisions, decisions.
It's such a shame that Velocity have decided to nuke their program. There were other ways that they could've gone about the changes.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

I wonder whether it's worth making some last minute bookings during the current VA sale, or wait and hope that they gave a DSC sale prior to April.
I'm currently WP and can push to retain WP with relative ease for this membership cycle (no hope for bookings made after April). I'm unfortunately too far away to push for FG though.
I'm wondering whether there's any point now as I'll need to spend too much to get to FG. Decisions, decisions.
It's such a shame that Velocity have decided to nuke their program. There were other ways that they could've gone about the changes.
You can always book some cheap seats in J now and if DSC comes along before then, cancel your flight for a full refund and rebook under DSC.

I’ve seen the priority line longer than the general line a couple of times at MCY. And they do police it. Always a couple who try and move over to the priority lane and then get told to go back to the end of the line.
I’m usually towards the front of the general line.

I've always managed to be one of the first 10 -15 pax to board, but I've never noticed queues behind me that long.
Either way, as I mentioned, those numbers are without doubt going to drop off later next year and continue to drop into 2026.
I don't expect to see many, (sure there will be some), leisure-only flyers by mid-2026, in priority, other than those that have purchased Econ X or treated themselves to J.
Exactly! Old config 737 has capacity of 176.

30 of those are economy extra, and another 8 are business… thats already 20% entitled to priority. Then add any plats not successful in economy X plus all the golds! Easy to get to 30%+ in the priority lane!

Rewards from the Cocos & Keeling Islands – or Christmas Island for that matter – always seemed tricky to find, in my experience. Have you found otherwise?
I believe these are subsidised by the Commonwealth Department of Territories so are not eligible for reward seats. You also couldn’t use the annual family trip benefit on these sectors.

Aside from being able to ‘fly forward’ by calling at any time of the day, I can’t think of any platinum benefits that were worthwhile for plat pax travelling in business class.

I agree that travelling biz mostly negates the need for status, but with VA's plat e-mail, on the 3 to 4 occasions I've had to use it, it was answered within a day and yes, actually addressed my query or request.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back