Major changes to Velocity Frequent Flyer announced 17/10/24

Correct, although the Platinum bonus points come in handy.
The status is just a by-product of flying though. I don’t chase the status as such. I’m going to be taking those flights regardless of status and these new changes won’t affect our travel patterns.

No but that was my point. Why bother chasing Velocity status?

I’d like someone to do the sums of crediting to QR instead of VA. If you were going to take the qualifying QR flights anyway it would be an excellent option, status with both major Australian airlines plus oneworld status.

I’d like someone to do the sums of crediting to QR instead of VA. If you were going to take the qualifying QR flights anyway it would be an excellent option, status with both major Australian airlines plus oneworld status.

It could work if you fly all by yourself. Won't work if you rely on family pooling (up to 50% for SCs)

Velocity following the lead of the US programs, and where all programs will eventually end, including Qantas: loyalty based on dollars spent with the airline alongside strong incentives to use co-branded credit cards.
Currently based in the US, and usually a Virgin Platinum or Gold FF depending on the year when back in Aus, and any comparison to US airline 'loyalty' programs is a negative one in my experience. All of them basically run themselves now like banks rather than airlines in that they care more about who has a credit card than who is actually a loyal. flyer My husband and I have missed non-US airlines, like Virgin (and even Qantas) for having actual loyalty programs based more on flying.

My husband flies relatively regularly for work in the US and in 21 months he's only just about to crack Delta Silver status. It's a total joke. They have so many different categories that you need to achieve to get any status and don't get me started on how there is no luggage included on any ticket that isn't 'First Class' which isn't First Class at all. It's like Jetstar Business Class Lite (if it existed) where no meals are served and you should be grateful for a drink. Delta, American and United all claim to be "full service" but they are far from it. They wouldn't know what a full service product looked like!!!

Will wait for our return to Aus to see how these changes are going to pan out.

Via email it appears many are requesting for their lifetime activity statement. I’ve asked for it and been told they’ll send soon.

So I actually did a comparison for my flying this year with the current vs new SC earnings and it comes out as:

Current earn: 1403SC

New earn: 740SC

When I can go from gifting gold to not even maintaining platinum, that's a huge devaluation of the program in my opinion. And the reality is are we getting anything more for spending the extra $$ to maintain the same status that we've currently enjoyed? Nope!

There is no longer any incentive to upgrade to business class when the discounted tickets are available. In fact if you're interested in maintaining status, you'd purposefully not purchase them.

It also disincentives connecting flights thus penalizing all regional passengers because their tickets for connections are usually cheaper than purchasing the two tickets individually. There's a huge drop in SC's just because you live in a centre that doesn't have direct flights to where you want to go.

Also international partner earn is very poor now. And yet we have no choice but to fly with them because VA don't have their own flights. Even booking through VA under codeshares is clunky/not available/sold out frequently whereas you can get those same flights direct through the operating airline's website.

VA really needs to step up a lot to sell these changes. Or realise they've made a big mistake, overstepped the mark and adjust. Or they're going to find a lot of people that they worked so hard over the past few years to convert from QF will change back again.

Because to the best of my knowledge you don’t earn anything on domestic flights unless it’s part of an international flight. I know it’s definitely still like that with QF flights but unsure about VA.
If it was possible to earn on VA domestic flights it would be a very good option to credit to QR Privilege

Especially those of who have QR status from status match. Perhaps worth doing everything to maintain or increase that now.

Under the current system:
SYD - SIN: 67,000
SIN - LHR: 92,000
SYD - LHR (Single Booking): 139,000

New system:
SYD - SIN: 74,000
SIN - LHR: 104,000
SYD - LHR (Single Booking): 158,500

To be fair, in terms of point devaluations go it isn't horrible but the increase in carrier charges for SQ is a bit painful. Definitely increases the number of circumstances where it makes sense to transfer points to KrisFlyer to access earlier availability and lower fees.

I also noticed the band 12 mileage has changed from 9,501 to 15,000 up to 9,501 to 20,000 not that it's really of relevance.
Thanks so much, this is really helpful!

The jump is a tough pill to swallow but I guess things would have to go up eventually

Because to the best of my knowledge you don’t earn anything on domestic flights unless it’s part of an international flight. I know it’s definitely still like that with QF flights but unsure about VA.
If it was possible to earn on VA domestic flights it would be a very good option to credit to QR Privilege

I don’t think that’s correct. Nothing on the QR PC page says that.

If QR is treating VA the same as QF there must be trouble in paradise! 😂

I must dig deeper and check it out as I’m about to do the QR status match with Accor and that would give me QR Platinum and then I could funnel my VA domestic flights over to QR also
Post automatically merged:

States that on Qantas's page on QR here: https://www.qatarairways.com/en/Privilege-Club/our-partners.QANTAS.html#poi-tab-QOYUS

Accrual on Qantas domestic flights are only eligible when they are in conjunction with an international flight marketed by either Qantas or Qatar Airways on the same ticket.
I honestly don’t know about VA though

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Book even on Discount Economy with QF internationally during DSC season and you'll get Gold.
I’m not so sure about that one. Sydney to DFW gets you what 60 status credits in Y? So double status credits that’s 240 status credits, certainly a way towards getting Gold but still a ways to go.
On the contrary, AA domestic F is one of the cheapest ways to get QF status.
There is no difference between AA and QF in terms of points and status credit accrual given their partnership.
I know that but for my circumstances it would cost significantly more than $10k unfortunately and hence why all my leisure travel domestically is with VA because I can’t justify the price difference
One could certainly earn WP for well under $10K if you timed everything right. Namely booking a couple of discount J domestic fares to AKL during a DSC promotion netting you close to 500 SCs on a $1200 spend. Not bad! But the people taking advantage of these offers are few and far between.

One of the few things QF gets right is how one earns status with them. It is truly based on how much you fly with them and partners which in my mind is why elite status exists. If you start basing it off money then what is the point in getting status? After all if you’re a high spender chances are you’ll be booking fares which include much of the benefits of status like extra baggage allowance or lounge access. At which point, you are a free agent and can book whatever airline offers the best price, schedule and service, something which Qantas doesn’t always lead on I should add!

-RooFlyer88

We’re talking about VA and QR. Nothing to do with QF.
Oopsies, been a long day, my bad ;w;

I honestly don’t know about VA though
You can credit domestic VA flights without an international itinerary linked to it to PC. Confirmed to get both Avios and QPoints and doesn't need to be under a QR code.

Looks like the above is incorrect at this stage in time.

Last edited:

A domestic flight with a VA code won't earn anything towards status - Avios only.

It's effectively the same as the way the EK partnership with QF works - can only earn QFF SC on a QF code, or a Oneworld marketed and operated flight, so no SC for an EK coded flight. This seems to be the same deal with QR and VA, since VA isn't a Oneworld airline.

The inability to earn Qpoints on domestic only QF itineraries is just a special case, presumably out of spite from one or both parties.

1729138282570.png

1729138450971.png

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back